o n e

"I'm here to update you on Edward Styles."

Marcel sits up, trying not to jostle Louis too much in his arms. Harry and their mom look up too, eyes still wet with fallen tears. 

"The surgery went good, the bullet was removed and the collateral damage was minimized."

"But," Marcel frowns, knowing there's a but. 

There's always a but. 

God, normally he would be bringing around those dreadful buts to the family's. 

"But as he lost a lot of blood and his body went into shock, he's still in a coma."

Marcel breathes in deeply, "So you don't know when he's going to wake up." 

Harry shivers at the thought of his big brother being unconscious for an unknown amount of time.

"I'm afraid I don't, Dr Styles. I can go over his charts with you if you'd like to later, it's looking rather positive than negative right now." 

Marcel nods, "Those can change quickly though, I'd like them updated every half an hour instead of hour." 

The surgeon nods, he's one of Marcel's close colleagues and he know he would want the same if it was his mate in there.

"I'll page you once my omega is awake and alright, I'd like to see him then," Marcel says rather than asks. 

The doctor nods once again, "I'm on call al day." 

"Thanks," Marcel say genuinely.

Harry looks at Marcel the moment the doctor leaves the room. 

"What does all that mean, is he going to be alright?"

Marcel sighs again, looking at his brother than his mom for help. 

"H, baby. It means his situation is critical but since everything went good and his charts are alright he should be fine." 

"But it can change," Harry tears up, remembering what Marcel said. 

"Bub, please. You have to see the bright side, he survived the bullet and the surgery, that was the hard part. He's so strong, I'll follow his charts by every thirty minutes to make sure he gets every kind of help he needs," Marcel frowns at Harry's sadness. 

He wants to cry so badly, a few tears have left his eyes subconsciously but he hasn't been able to cry for real ever since it happened. 

He knows if he breaks, Harry is going to melt down even worse and Louis might drop deeper or get out of his omega space too sudden. So he can't, obviously. 

"I'm sorry, I-I just miss him so badly. I want him to hold me and tell me he's fine," Harry cries into his hands, "I'm so scared, Marcy." 

Marcel blinks away his own tears while reaching out further to hold both of his mates instead of only his omega. 

"I know you are, baby, I'm so sorry I couldn't do more. I'm so so sorry." 

Harry looks up through his tears shaking his head, "You did everything, Marcel. Don't apologize."

Anne rubs Harry's back while wiping a few stray tears on Marcel's face, "He's right, baby. You did everything, even though you were in shock." 

She's crying herself, of course. Who wouldn't if one of their sons were shot and currently fighting for their lives while the other's were crying their eyes out because of it. 

"N-not enough," Marcel rasps out, swallowing the lump in his throat yet again. 

He can't break down.