Chaos' Past

Mystic Ruins, Daytime.

Sonic falls face-first into the trees, but is immediately able to bounce back up.

Sonic: "Dang it! That blasted doctor!!"

Sonic then notices his surroundings.

"Wh-where is this?!" he skittishly wonders.

There's a light nearing him. "That light...it may be trying to tell me something..."

Sonic sees the temple by him shake. The light goes inside of it, encouraging Sonic to run with it.

Lost World.

The light leads Sonic to a mural on the wall of the temple depicting a ferociously powerful version of Chaos...

Perfect Chaos.

"What's this? Looks like a mural of some sort

"What's this? Looks like a mural of some sort..."

Sonic looks into the eyes of the Perfect Chaos mural as the light teleports him to the past.

"H..huh..."

"WHAT HAPPENED HERE?!?!"

Sonic is terrified as he happens upon a world of fire, shadows, destroyed buildings and towers, a bunch of Chao...and a girl. Wherever the hedgehog was, it bared a disturbing resemblance to the underworld.

"How can this be? Why does this have to happen?" Sonic overhears the girl talking. He goes up to her.

Sonic: "Where am I?"

???: "Oh, good, you're here! You're in the past world, home of the Echidna Clan. I sent you here to warn you of what will happen. Before I tell you, though, what is your name?"

"Sonic the Hedgehog."

"Tikal the Echidna."

"An echidna, you say? You're related to a close friend of mine."

Tikal grabs some wood and throws them at a burning spot, creating a campfire.

Sonic and Tikal sit on the logs placed next to the firepit.

Tikal: "Do you know any other echidnas besides me and them? What's their name?"

Sonic: "His name is Knuckles. He told me that he's the last of his kind."

Tikal: "I'm even more lucky to have known about you, then...from now on, call us the Knuckles Clan."

Sonic: "But...this is the past...wouldn't you be dead in the present?"

Tikal: "Unfortunately, yes, but my spirit still lives on. That's what-or actually who-the light is."

Sonic: "I see. This place looks like what Mystic Ruins looks like today...except, it doesn't exactly feel like Mystic Ruins at all...what in the world happened here?"

Tikal: "Well, I'm from a race of echidnas that lived 4,000 years ago. After an era of violent war efforts, we were completely wiped out when we landed face-to-face with Chaos. He used to be such a kind and caring creature, protecting the Chao and the controller of chaos; a shining, green emerald."

Sonic: "The controller of chaos you describe, it sounds just like the Master Emerald!"

Tikal: "It is. However, one day...my dad, named Pachacamac, planned to raid the Master Emerald's altar and take the Chaos and Master Emerald by force so that the Knuckles Clan could destroy all their enemies. Unfortunately, Chaos was bound to the shrine and thus unable to leave. My dad ordered his soldiers to charge through them instead, which badly injured and even killed some of them.

Enraged at seeing those he loved hurt, Chaos absorbed the negative energies deep inside the powerful Chaos Emeralds, becoming Perfect Chaos, and he was never the same since. However, I sealed him within the Master Emerald with these words:

The servers are the seven Chaos. Chaos is power...Power enriched by the heart. The controller is the one that unifies the chaos.

Chaos seems to have been set free, though..."

Sonic whispers; "He was the one who released him?!"

Sonic: "Ancient city blazing...shadows keep attacking...all these small Chao crying, and some Chao lay dead on the flaming grounds...

Pure confusion...Hopeless anger. This is what life would've been like for the rest of time if Chaos wasn't banished decades ago..."

Tikal: "You seem to know who released him...Who in the world would have been evil enough to set him free?!"

Sonic: "A long-time rival of mine. Dr. Ivo Robotnik, or Dr. Eggman. See, in the past, he spent his time capturing small animals and turning them into badniks, and at one point he held an entire planet hostage, stole a girl named Amy, and made me fight against a metal version of myself to get her back."

Tikal: "Wow...he really sounds like an evil man..."

Sonic: "...But...not even once, has he ever done anything as crazy as this...he has only 1 Chaos Emerald left before he dooms us all..."

Tikal: "Luckily, he ran off just in time for you to stop him. He may have been at his weakest, but still...who knows what kind of disasters he would've caused if it weren't for you being there. I have only one thing to say now: make sure the doctor doesn't get a hold of the 7th Chaos Emerald."