chapter 13

“I will deal with him” Someone gasped, Jaebum couldn’t pinpoint since his heartbeats rang loudly in his ear, hands shaking at the thoughts of confrontation and truth that will come out in a moment.

“You are just a beta, Jaebum-ssi, you can-”

“He has dealt with him before, I think it could be a plausible solution” Doctor Song inferred.

“But this is much serious” Mark said, eying him thoughtfully.

“Yugyeom would never forgive himself if he hurt any omega, or if he unknowingly bonded with one. His wolf doesn’t hate me that much, I can do something about it.” The tremors in Jaebum’s voice were recognizable, he was so scared, not because of Yugyeom but the inevitable that might cause an undoable change in his life. Jackson walked to him, concerned.

“Hyung, you don’t need to do this”

“I have to” Jaebum smiled, trying to control his nerves.

“Then we do it together,” Youngjae said with finality, standing up from his place. Jaebum shook his head, followed by Doctor Song. It would be a territorial fight if they set a foot in the secured room on the top floor.

“You can’t”

“Well, at least I can?” Bambam asked hesitantly, Yugyeom was his best friend, the beta was awfully quiet and sad regarding the whole situation. Jaebum shook his head again, not even beta seemed like a good idea. Only he would do, only an omega would do. Even that is unsure- and only possible if the wolf recognizes him, if the wolf deems him safe. He didn’t say that, though Doc was aware, it could be bad for an omega too. But he had to try.

“Then how come you can, hyung?” Jinyoung questioned, his eyes narrowing accusingly at him. “Yug would be worse if he ended up hurting you, and we- members would be distraught too. This isn’t a light decision.”

“He won’t hurt me” It was a lie. The wolf could. “And” Jaebum bit his lips, taking a deep breath, he has never used the title for backing up his argument “I am the leader or does that mean nothing with to your alpha-ness since you are questioning my resolve?”

Everybody fell silent, surprised at his tone and the taunt. In starting days, Jaebum has been unsure about his leadership, it was a rare case where someone other than an alpha led the group. Let alone an omega. It took time and effort, for Jaebum to become confident in his skills and other members- alphas- to be comfortable with someone else taking the reign. It was no easy path, their heads clashed more often than not, but slowly, and suddenly they stopped leaving Jaebum suspicious. He didn’t know their attraction for the leader and the utmost trust in him made it possible.

“That’s- you know that’s not what I mean!” Jinyoung glared, his pheromones turning sour at the blame, fist clenching in resistance. He turned his head away for a moment, closing his eyes to not let the anger out before he looks at Jaebum again, his gaze burning and Jaebum’s knees weakened “You can’t go. You’re a beta like Bambam, you’re the leader but you aren’t invincible. I will not allow you to recklessly march into a situation, trying to be the sacrificial lamb, disregarding your own safety and worries you’re causing to your teammates. If you’re a leader, then act like one.” Jaebum was stunned at his reply, he was sure the leader card would be met with agreement, albeit dejectedly. He wanted to protest, yell at him for speaking to his hyung like that, but Jaebum knew the alpha had a point, and also Jinyoung wouldn’t budge.

“Guys, please. This is a very severe timing, we can't let it become about ourselves when Yugyeom’s clock is ticking.” Doctor Song interjected, knowing when these JJP idiots start, they wouldn’t stop fighting till the end. “We still have some time, lets… let’s think of something”

The frustration was palpable in the room, tension swirling around like a chandelier. Jaebum excused himself from the place and got out, needing some fresh air. He hoped he could escape without confrontation, at least for now, but he really did put this on for far too long. He had chances, he had Yugyeom’s support, why didn’t he come clean? Why did he have to so greedy? Why did he have to be selfish? Maybe it wouldn’t have become so serious, this situation if he only bonded with the said alpha, but the pack would obviously notice- so he had hesitated, but he shouldn’t have. He should have bonded with the group, made it a pack like how they all yearned for. But no, he-

God, he was pathetic.

His attention snapped back to the ringing phone, an alarm reminding him to take the pills. Oh yes, he had taken them in the early morning. The effects would wear off in a few minutes. His hand froze as it reached to fish out the bottle from his pocket- should he?

“I am contacting the organization of omegas” He heard, muffled, from the door “We don’t have much time, it’s better to be ready for any situation.” Chanyeol was saying, and Jaebum wanted to- to-

He swallowed nervously, these violent thoughts startling him. His dislike for Doctor Park was increasing, the alpha wasn’t at fault but Jaebum couldn’t help but despise him. He took another breath, a wave of frustration passing through his body, he really did have no choice. He stomped inside the room, pills forgotten on the railing of the corridor, determination setting on his features whilst his pounding heart betraying the script.

“I am going in. Because I have to. Because nobody else can go. Because…” He shuddered, barely resisting the temptation of running away. So many eyes watching him- in confusion, in suspicion, in anger. “There’s something I haven’t told you.” Nobody said a word, even Doc was looking at him in awe as if she didn’t expect him to take the high road. He was standing near the door, ready to bolt after the bomb he will drop, not courageous enough to stay and experience all the hurt, pain, and wounds it will be causing. Or, or, the worst, the betrayal that will hang heavy in the air, suffocating and agonizing. He just couldn’t.

“What-”

“The alarm has gone off, Yugyoem-ssi is up” Doctor Park’s nurse shouted in panic, Jaebum was able to pick up the faint smell of green and rain, luring him seductively to the trap. That means medications have gone down. Jaebum took one last large breath, before letting the words tumble out in a hurried fashion, falling helplessly on the ground, soundless in its collision as deafening silence engulfed the place.

“I am an omega” And Jaebum ran.