1. THE PRESENTATION

A lady's debut was something to be taken with the utmost seriousness. One wrong move, one misplaced hair, one thread showing, and she could be relegated to marrying the lowest of the low—or worse, she would have no suitors at all. And an unwedded lady in this society? Well, some would say that's a fate worse than death.

And perhaps that's why you were as stressed as you were. You'd been raised in this society. You knew the rules. You knew the etiquette. You could practically recite every single step that needed to be taken on this absolutely horrendous day forwards, backwards, and upside-down. But still, anything was possible. What if you tripped over your dress? Or what if you didn't bow far enough? What if the Queen was in a sour mood and decided to frown at you—or worse, grimace—just for fun? Sure, your family had long been favored by the Crown but the thing about being a favorite is the fickleness of it all.

Anything could happen. And a single misstep could cement your family's future, your legacy, for centuries.

You leaned over your vanity, sucking in a breath, as your maid, Eliza, tied up your corset. While your corsets typically fit you perfectly, your mother was adamant that they should be taken in a little more for your presentation to ensure you looked as appealing as possible. But, God, did beauty have to be pain?

"Corset's tied, ma'am," Eliza said.

You let out the breath you were holding and stood up straight, turning to look in your ornate mirror. You frowned, muttering under your breath that you looked practically the same as before.

"Now, don't be frowning, ma'am," Eliza said. "You mustn't have any wrinkles before you make your debut."

"You may as well be my mother, Eliza," you said. "But, very well. Is my dress ready?"

As you spoke, your mother came scurrying into the room, her own maid Natalia carrying the white dress you were expected to wear.

"Xepher and Devyn just finished the alterations!" your mother said as Natalia and Eliza helped you into the dress.

As they buttoned it up in the back, you continued to admire yourself in the mirror. Devyn and Xepher had outdone themselves. Truly the best modistes in all of Liberdon. The white dress, adorned with golden accents on the top around the sleeves and neckline, fit perfectly. And perhaps, with the tightened corset, it looked even better than you could have imagined.

You moved your gaze from your dress, and made eye contact with your mother in the mirror. And though she was several feet away, you were sure that you could see the tears welling up in her mother.

"Oh, Mother, if I'm not allowed to so much as frown, you aren't allowed to cry!" you chided with a laugh.

She laughed, too, dabbing her eyes with her handkerchief. "You'll have to forgive me, my dear. I've just been dreaming of this day for so long, and now for it to finally be here..."

Natalia and Eliza finished buttoning the dress, so you turned and crossed the room. You embraced your mother, and said, "I know. I'm so...excited. But, I must admit I'm terrified, too."

"And why is that?" your mother said. "We've been preparing for this day your entire life."

"That's exactly why I'm terrified, Mother. We've been preparing for this day since I could walk, but I'm scared that all of these years of preparation will be nothing. What if I trip? What if I mess up? What if the Queen just doesn't think I'm good enough?"

Your mother took you by the arm and led you to the chaise lounge at the end of your bed. You sat down and she sat beside you, holding your hand in hers. She gave you a kind smile and said, "My dear, I was scared for my debut, too. There are so many unknowns in the world, but you mustn't dwell on them. Focusing on them will only increase the odds that something horrible will happen."