5. THE REALIZATION

The best part of the social season, in your not-so-humble opinion, was the vibrant marketplace that sprung up. Sure, the goods were all horribly overpriced. But, as someone who loved all things beautiful, you could look past the prices for long enough to pass your money to whatever shop owner who's products caught your interest. After all, you so rarely spent your money when you were in Evermore, so the social season gave you the perfect opportunity to get the most beautiful, most wonderful products Liberdon had to offer. Even before your debut, coming to market when your parents hosted their own balls and, eventually when Elias entered high society, was easily the best part of the year.

Though, shopping was rarely a practice done in solitude. At least, it was a practice you could rarely have fun doing in solitude. So, you convinced Amber to join you. Though, it was hardly something that took much convincing. A mere "would you like to join me at the mark—" was enough to catch your friend's interest.

"Hmm, what do you think of this?" Amber asked, showing off an embroidered handkerchief.

You examined, looking closely at the stitches before giving your nod of approval. "It's exquisite!" You turned to the person working the booth in the market. "How much?"

The woman eyed the pair of you, before saying, "40."

"We'll take two then," you declared, picking up a handkerchief for yourself as the two of you paid her.

After the woman confirmed you both gave her the right amount, you and Amber continued through the market, stopping at booths that were of interest. As you paused at a booth of beautiful fans, you noticed Amber giving you a look.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" you asked, examining a white fan adorned with feathers.

"Are we not going to talk about what happened at the ball?"

You set the fan down. "What's there to talk about? A lady threatened me for being near the prince. I'm sure any other lady, and their mothers for that matter, would do the same. It's just none of them were drunk or bold enough to do so."

Amber pursed her lips. "I'm not so convinced. There was something dangerous in her eyes. I fear she'll make good on her threat."

You frowned, your brows furrowing together. "What could she possibly do? She wouldn't be bold enough to attack me herself. And I've never even heard of this Lady Serena Wharton until she was telling me to leave the prince alone. How do I even know this threat is credible?"

A clearing of the throat stopped Amber from responding. The two of you turned, seeing a tall man standing a few feet away. He was clearly of high society, his clothes neat and of the current fashion. Though, the visible ink on his neck and hands gave you pause. You'd never seen a man of high society...decorate their body in such a way.

"Excuse me," he said, "I don't mean to interrupt, but I couldn't help but overhear. Are you talking about Lady Serena Wharton?"

Amber nodded. "Yes, we are. Why do you ask?"

"Just to clarify, she threatened you?" he asked, looking over at you.

"She did threaten my friend," Amber confirmed. "She told Y/N to stay away from His Royal Highness or else."

The man sucked in a breath. "Oh, that's a credible threat, alright."

You blinked. "I'm sorry, but I don't think you've introduced yourself."

The man apologized quickly, introducing himself as Lord Aryia Emrani. Both you and Amber introduced yourselves afterwards, after realizing that he likely didn't know your names either.

"And how do you know Lady Serena?" you asked.

"It's a long story."

"Well, we have time," Amber said. "Time that you're wasting by not telling us."

You bit on your lip, saying quietly to Amber, "I don't know if we should be talking to him. He's an unwedded man, and neither of us are chaperoned right now. What if someone sees us? What if someone says something? This could ruin our reputations, our lives."

Amber took your hands in hers. "Y/N, sweet Y/N, you worry too much. There is nothing that can be said that will ruin us. And I'm sure your mother would be willing to lie and say she was nearby."

You eyed the man, before agreeing. "Very well. What do you know about her?"

"Most of this is secondhand information, rumors spread from my part of the country, so I can't verify its truth," Aryia said. "Lady Serena and Prince Cole were friends from childhood. Their mothers had been close friends, so it only made sense for the two of them would grow up together. They were as thick as thieves. Where you saw one, the other was somewhere nearby."

Amber frowned. "What happened, then? I've never heard of her before."

"Things became strained after the prince's family passed. The older he got, the more she distracted him from his studies. He became someone different when she was around. The Queen worried she would eventually tarnish the royal name."

"So what did the Queen do?" you asked. The Queen's disapproval was not something to be taken lightly. If you so much as breathed in a wrong way around her, she could ruin your life.

"She had the entire Wharton family sent away. She was sent to the eastern part of Liberdon, relegated to the worst town in the whole country."

Amber said quietly to you, "That sounds like a good motive for revenge."

"Rumor has it, when Lady Serena made her debut a few seasons ago, the Queen grimaced for the first time in over a decade."

You and Amber exchanged a look. A grimace? From the Queen? That was practically signed the death certificate of an unmarried woman who lived the most destitute life.

"I think I heard of that!" Amber gasped. "It was three seasons after my debut. Apparently, she couldn't show her face at any of the balls. Any time she tried to go, she was turned away. Nobody wanted her to ruin their events."

"Oh, that's horrible."

Aryia scoffed. "Pardon me, but you really shouldn't be so sympathetic to somehow who's threatening you and your future."

Amber eyed the man. "You know, I have to agree with you. Y/N, now is not the time to be a sweetheart."

"Well, I must be going," Aryia said. "But be careful. That woman has a heart of ice. She knows no mercy when in the pursuit of what she wants."

"Thank you for telling us," Amber said.

Aryia turned and left, but you were too disheartened to return to shopping. Amber suggested a walk in the park to clear your mind. You agreed, leaving the marketplace. The two of you linked your arms, walking down the path in silence, Amber allowing you the space to process your thoughts. That, perhaps, was one of your favorite things about Amber. She always had your back, but she knew when to give you space to yourself. That kind of friendship was something that only came once in a lifetime, and you were forever grateful to have Amber as your friend.

But, a quiet gasp pulled you from your thoughts.

You looked up, and your heart fell to your stomach.

How could he?

Sure, nothing was official, but...you thought he was serious.

Did none of it matter?

Suddenly, you wanted to rip off your necklace and throw into the River Thurram.

For, hanging off of Prince Cole's arm, was none other than Lady Serena Wharton, chaperoned by her older sister Lady Priscilla Bennett.