9. THE COMFORT

You stared at the diamond necklace, holding it in your hands. Perhaps you were too harsh with Cole. You wouldn't throw it away, nor would you give it away to someone like Lady Serena. But, it hurt your heart to look at it. It reminded you too much of Cole, and the life you could have had together. Perhaps that was your fault for becoming too comfortable with the idea of marrying a prince. After all, the only thing you'd done was gain the approval of the Queen. You had nothing else to offer, save for a pretty face.

You set it down, instead focusing on the intricate updo Eliza was working on. But, it was hard to focus when the necklace glittered so prettily on your vanity.

"What do you think I should do with this, Eliza?" you asked, gesturing at the necklace.

Eliza paused what she was doing, looking at the necklace. She pursed her lips, then said, "Well, it's far too beautiful to get rid of. Why don't you put it away in a box, and put it in one of your drawers? Out of sight, out of mind, as they say. But it will always be there if you want it again."

"I suppose that's the best I can do for now," you admitted.

You opened one of your vanity drawers, pulling an empty jewelry box out. You opened it, and placed the necklace inside, taking great care to ensure it wouldn't become messed up. Then you shut the lid and returned it to the drawer, burying it under your silver hairbrush and embroidered handkerchiefs.

Out of sight, out of mind.

"Do you feel better now, ma'am?" Eliza asked, putting the finishing touches on her masterpiece.

"No," you admitted, "but I will. Eventually."

"That's a good attitude to have, ma'am. I know you'll get over this heartache soon enough," Eliza said. "You are a strong young lady. If anyone can pull out of this a better person, it's you. I'm sure of it."

You smiled at her through the mirror. "Thank you, Eliza. You have no idea how much that means to me."

"You're very welcome, ma'am."

You rose from your seat, moving over to admire yourself in your full length mirror. You twirled, laughing as your dress swished with you. Well, even if you were heartbroken, at least you still looked beautiful.

"You've outdone yourself, Eliza," you said, grinning at her.

"Thank you, ma'am," Eliza blushed.

You smiled at her once more before going to the sitting room. As you settled in one of the plush chairs, ready to spend some time reading, your mother entered the room. She sat beside you, placing a hand on top of yours.

You furrowed your brows. What was she doing? The last time she had acted like this, your father had just passed. You asked, trying to keep your voice steady, "Is there something wrong, mother?"

"I wanted to talk to you about your prince," she said.

You gave her a weak smile. "He's not my prince, mother. He never was."

She let out a low sigh, then said, "You shouldn't let him discourage you from finding a good match. Your brother says you were dancing with the Duke of Eastmoor the other night?"

"It wasn't like that, mother. He's a friend of a friend, and only wished to help me make the prince jealous." You looked away, pulling your hand back and placing it on your lap. "I don't think it worked. I think it just made things worse. He...was jealous, but then I ruined it. I just got so angry, and I said some things I might not have meant. I think...I think I ruined it all."

Your mother took your face in her hands, forcing you to look her in the eyes. "My darling daughter, you haven't ruined anything."

"No, I have. There's no way the prince would want to marry me now. Then, because his interest has waned, other suitors will leave, too, if they haven't already. And if word gets out about how rude I was to His Royal Highness? I might as well become used to a life as a spinster."

"You don't have to marry your first season, you know," your mother said.

"You know what happens to ladies who don't marry their first season."

You hated to think about it, especially so early in the social season. But it was a reality you may have to get comfortable with. You knew, like all ladies of high society, that if you didn't not marry the season you make your debut, every year is a ticking time bomb until you are no longer considered suitable for marriage. The only reason ladies like Amber were able to continue attending social seasons was because they retained their good looks and ability to charm people.

"I think it's time I told you a story," your mother said.

"Story? What story?"

"I never told you this, but I didn't get married my first season," your mother said. "I came into the season strong, but every time I spoke to a potential suitor, I was told that I would make a great wife for someone, but I wasn't what they were looking for. The only men eager for my hand were the older men of the ton who were desperate for an heir. I thank my lucky stars that my father never pushed me to marry one of them, to be trapped in a wholly unhappy marriage. So, I ended my first season with no marriage, not even a single proposal."

"Then what happened?"

"My second season, I had more luck. I didn't come in as strong as my first season, but the Queen didn't seem disgusted by my presence. At first, I thought it was going to be more of the same. That men would say I'd make a good wife, but not for them. Then I met a young man, who told me day after day that I took his breath away. He made me feel like royalty, treated me like no other. He was fully devoted, even before he asked for my hand."

You smiled softly. "Let me guess, that man was my father?"

"You're so brilliant, my dear," your mother said. "Sometimes, things don't go the way you wish for them to. But that only allows for even better things to enter your life. If you don't marry this season, you will be fine. You will find your prince charming, even if he isn't a literal prince."

"Thank you, mother, I really needed that," you said, tears pricking at your eyes.

She smiled at you for a moment, then rose to her feet. "Come, I think we could use a nice walk."

"I couldn't agree more."

After preparing for your walk, you and your mother made your way out to the park, talking and laughing about whatever ridiculous rumors were floating around the ton. Apparently, according to your mother, some believed that Prince Cole actually had no interest in either you or Lady Serena, for the Duchess of Silverkeep was the true object of his affection! Or, even more scandalously, some whispered that the prince was interested in the Duke of Silverkeep!

You were in the midst of laughing at the rumors your mother told you, when your heart practically stopped beating. For, standing in front of you now, was the man you wished you'd never have to see or speak to ever again.

"Pardon me, Viscountess," Prince Cole said, "but may I have a word with Miss Covington?"

Your mother sent a glare that rivaled Elias's—though, perhaps not as outright hateful as his, it still held a sort of iciness that would make any man's blood ran cold. "Anything you have to say to my daughter, you can say in front of me, Your Royal Highness."

Cole nodded, then looked to you. "I came to apologize. What I did to you was uncalled and rude and nothing you ever deserved. You had only ever been kind to me, and treated me as your equal instead of the best marriage prospect on your doorstep. For that, I'm eternally grateful. But I can never forgive myself for turning away from you."

"Then why did you?" you asked.

He sighed. "I'm sure you've heard by now that Lady Serena had been a childhood friend. I...was comfortable with her. And for a man terrified of being trapped in a marriage, to have my freedom taken away, that's what I thought I wanted. But, when I began to spend more time with her, and especially after I saw you dance with the Duke of Eastmoor, I knew that being comfortable wasn't what I wanted. For I never felt freer than when I was with you."

"What are you trying to say, Cole?"

"I'm asking—nay, I'm begging for your forgiveness. And, if you'll allow it, I would like to begin courting you once more."