2. THE PROPOSITION

There wasn't much that the prince enjoyed about this time of year. Yes, the weather was nice. Yes, his friends were finally in town. And, yes, there were plenty of beautiful young ladies who'd throw themselves to just look at him. But, still, Cole hated the social season for the simple fact that his grandmother would never shut up about him finding a bride.

Look, he wasn't interested in marriage. Plain and simple. At least, not now. Not when his life had only just begun! He was only twenty-four years old! He wanted to be able to travel to far away lands, to see things people could only dream of. He didn't want to settle down, start a family. And, while he wanted to rule over the country that gave him these privileges, he knew that he'd have to sacrifice his freedom to do so. And that was something impossible to give up.

On the day that the young ladies of Liberdon would make their debut, Cole hid away in his study in the West Tower. The palace's staff rarely came that way, unless they were dragging him off to meals or forcing him to meet with notable members of high society. But, usually, he could be in his study for days at a time before anyone ever came to bother him. Just the way he liked it.

He was in the midst of figuring out a route to go North. He and his friends had always talked about traveling to explore the ice mountains on the northern tip of the country, and Cole figured now was as good a time as ever to head that way. Hopefully none of them would be too bothered with taking a month time's away from the social season to explore. At the very least, he knew that the Duke of Silverkeep would be by his side, as he had been for many years.

A knock came at the door, interrupting Cole's planning.

"Come in!" he shouted, rolling up the map and shoving it into a desk drawer. He didn't know who was on the other side of that door, and he couldn't be bothered if it was one of his grandmother's maids, for he knew they would run and tell the Queen of any adventures Cole had hidden up his sleeve. That's how the prince ended up being prevented from traveling East with some friends. (Though, perhaps that was for the best, given that he had forgotten to pack important travel documents and it would've made for an...interesting time returning home, even for someone of such nobility.)

Nate Hardy, officially Cole's servant but always his friend, entered the study.

"Nate! How can I help you?" Cole asked as Nate bowed.

Nate straightened up, dropping any formalities now that the door to the study was shut. For someone so close to the prince, he was fortunate enough to be in a position to treat him as friend, not just someone he served.

"Her Majesty requests your presence," Nate said.

"Now?" Cole questioned, growing irritated that he alone time was being encroached upon. For he knew exactly what his grandmother had to say, and he was sick of hearing it.

"You know how impatient she is."

Cole ground his teeth together before sighing. "Very well. I'll go there now."

Except, just for the hell of it, Cole took his sweet, sweet time making his way through the palace. He descended the tower slowly, which took up a decent chunk of time on its own. For the West Tower was the tallest tower in the palace. Then he took the longest path he could think of to get to the throne room, even deciding to make a few pitstops in the garden and the stables, before finally going to see his grandmother.

She sat perched on her throne, one of her ladies fanning her. When Cole entered, she rolled her eyes dramatically. "I was beginning to think you'd snuck off to go on another adventure with those Dukes and that Earl you like so much," she said.

"No, not today," Cole said. "What is it that you needed?"

His grandmother waved off the lady fanning her, waiting to speak until the young lady had gone. When it was finally just them, the Queen said, "I'm sure you already know what I have to say."