21. THE AFTERMATH

Cole's stomach churned as he searched the ballroom. Though his face would never reveal it, he was deeply nervous about the evening and what would transpire. Hopefully, this would be the end of it all. Hopefully, he could ensure that justice was served. He needed to do that for you. He had to do that for you. It was the very least he could do for you, after all the pain you'd been put through. But, fuck, he couldn't do that when he couldn't find the one woman he was supposed to keep track of. He'd been here since the ball began and many hours had passed, but still, he couldn't find the damn woman he was supposed to be keeping an eye on!

Then, he saw her. Across the room, conversing with her sister. He stood a little straighter, then crossed the room. Priscilla and Serena turned when he joined them, and he gave them the kindest smile he could must.

"Lady Priscilla, Lady Serena," he greeted. Then, to Lady Serena, he said, "Are you free for the next dance? It's my favorite."

Lady Serena smiled, then presented her dance card to him. He filled in the slot for the waltz, which well and truly was his favorite dance. But he didn't want to share it with her.

Alas, some sacrifices must be made.

The waltz began, and together they made their way to join the other couples. Cole began to feel queasy as they danced together, knowing that soon the plan would be finished and he could finally go back to the woman he truly cared for.

Then, it all stopped.

You could practically hear a pin drop.

Finally, justice was going to served.

Cole felt like he was going to vomit when he saw the authorities arrive. All eyes turned to the officers as they walked into the ballroom. The once loud conversations devolved into quiet whispers. The song the band was playing stopped, all dancers stopped. And Lady Serena, who's back was turned to the officers, was none the wiser. She looked up at Cole in confusion, and he could only grin down at her, for he knew what was coming.

"Your Royal Highness," the officer said, "I'm afraid I'm going to take your dance partner in."

Lady Serena whipped around, staring the officer down. "What? I've done nothing wrong."

"Our sources say otherwise."

"Then your sources are wrong!" Lady Serena looked back at Cole. "Cole, tell them they're wrong!"

Cole bit back his smile and looked to the officers. "Oh, I don't know. We don't even know what they're arresting you for."

Lady Serena slowly nodded. "Right! What am I being arrested for?"

"Conspiracy to commit murder, assault, treason, and conspiring against the Crown."

The entire ballroom, who had been watching with baited breath, all gasped. Oh, they were probably relishing in this. A scandal of this caliber hadn't occurred in many, many years.

"You can't prove any of that!" Serena argued.

An officer held up her diary. "Oh? We can't?"

Serena's face drained of color. "Where the fuck did you get that?" she shrieked.

"It doesn't matter. What does matter is your detailed plans to hire a man to murder Miss Y/N Covington, as well as the successful assault that you orchestrated, and the plans to usurp the Crown for yourself."

"I—Cole, tell them I've been framed!"

"Now, why would I do that when you've hurt the woman I love?" Cole asked.

More gasps echoed through the ballroom. He was sure this was going to be the talk of the kingdom for many months, and he almost found a sick sort of enjoyment out of it. Perhaps his grandmother knew what she was talking about when she said they should humiliate Lady Serena.