18. THE PANIC

What a fucking wench, Serena seethed. How dare that horrid Viscountess say such things to her? Did she not have a clue who she was speaking to? Did that wench not understand the power that Serena would have? Oh, she'll show her. She'll show her just who she's messing with.

Serena stormed up to her room, ignoring whatever stupid fucking question the maid posed as she entered the home. She immediately took a seat at her desk, opening a drawer and fishing out her diary. Except—what the fuck? Where was it? She always put it in the exact same spot, so she always knew exactly where it was. Its home was carefully tucked between the letters she and Cole used to exchanged when they were younger but now? Now it was nowhere to found.

She furiously opened all of her drawers, digging through their contents, trying to figure out if she had just misplaced. Fuck, when was the last time she had even written in it? Weeks ago? Could it have really been misplaced for that? Quickly, Serena realized that it was nowhere to be found in her desk. She turned her attention to the rest of the room, wondering where the hell it could be.

Then, a worse fear struck her heart. If her diary had gone missing, could the...No. No! They couldn't have. Could they? She jumped up, dashing over to her vanity and rising on her tiptoes, looking at the space where the mirror leaned off the wall.

Shit. Shit. Shit!

Where was it?

Where the fuck was everything?

Rage filled her chest as she began to tear through her room. Someone had touched her belongings. Someone had touched—and taken her belongings. Someone had taken the two items that could ruin her and everything she had been working towards.

Serena stormed out of her room, stalking down the hall to Priscilla's room. She threw the door open, snarling, "Have you been in my room?"

Priscilla turned from her own vanity, her perfectly arched brow raising. "I don't care about you or your room, sister. What joy would messing with your stuff bring me?"

"I don't know, but things are missing!"

"Are they important things?"

"Yes. The most important things I have."

"Then, pray tell, what are they? I may have seen them somewhere."

"My diary and some letters."

Priscilla laughed. "Oh, those aren't important. You can replace those."

Serena was in front of her sister in an instant. "You don't understand. Those letters and my diary, in the wrong hands, can ruin this family."

Priscilla rose, towering over Serena. For a brief moment, fear struck her heart, but she tried to keep her rage simmering. "What did you just say?"

"I said—"

Priscilla grabbed at Serena's hair, yanking her head backwards. "If you said what I think you've said, I pray that you are mistaken. Do you understand how many sacrifices this family has made because of your stupid meddling in royal affairs?"

"Yes, I—"

"Because I don't think you do. We were relegated to fucking Squall's End because you couldn't stop yourself from going after a fucking prince. And now, when you have him wrapped around your stupid little finger, you tell me that that might be in jeopardy? Pray you're wrong. Because if you ruin this family again, I swear, you'll never live to see the light of day."

"I...I think I might not have looked everywhere."

"You better hope that's true." Priscilla released her hair, and Serena stumbled backwards. "Now go. I'm bored of you."

Serena paused for a moment, before racing out of the room. She paused for a moment in the hallway to fix her, then continued on her mission to figure out who the hell touched her belongings.

Just as she was about to harass one of the maids, her personal, Jane, came rushing over.

"What?" Serena snarled.

"Ma'am, His Royal Highness is here. He's requesting you join him on a walk in the park," Jane said.

"...Fine. Do I look presentable?"

"Of course, ma'am."

"Then get my sister as my chaperone."

"Of course, ma'am."

And, as the three of them walked through the park, Serena holding onto the prince's arm, a sense of smugness washed over her rage. At least, for now, the prince wasn't aware of what's done. Now to only coax a proposal and expedited marriage license out of him to ensure he could never, ever leave her.