20. THE NIGHT

You were a vision of perfection. Really, and truly, Xepher and Devyn had gone above and beyond with this dress. The soft, powder blue complemented your skin tone perfectly, bringing out all of your best features. The fit of the gown was perfect, snug in the places that it needed to be snug in, while still falling beautifully in waves in a way that looked ethereal. The soft click of the pearls as hit against each other as you moved? Oh, it was simply divine. And paired with your pure white gloves and pearl earrings and necklace? And the little flowers Eliza had woven into your hair? Oh, you could've had men proposing to you on the spot!

But, still, you didn't feel as wonderful as you should have.

Eliza had finished dressing you many minutes ago, but you couldn't look away from the mirror. For as beautiful as you looked, you knew it wouldn't earn you the attention of the man you wanted. He wasn't yours, not anymore. Perhaps he wasn't at all. But just thinking of that made your heart hurt in a way that you hated with every fiber in your being.

"Y/N, darling, are you ready to go?" your mother asked, entering the room.

"No."

"Oh? Do you need a few more moments?"

You shook your head, trying to stop yourself from crying. God, could you ever stop crying? It felt like that was all you did anymore. You used to not be so emotional. So why now does your heartache? Because a prince you barely knew left you for someone who's gone out of your way to hurt you?

Still, even you could not stop the inevitable. The tears flowed freely and, in an instant, your mother was in front of you, cradling your face.

"Is everything alright, darling?"

"No, mama," you said, using the old name you used to call your mother, the one you only used when it really, really hurt. "My heart aches."

"Oh, darling," she said, placing a kiss to your forehead. "What's the matter?"

You shook your head, trying to control your breathing. "I can't go. I can't go to the ball."

"Why, baby?"

God, did she have to ask so many questions? Why couldn't you just say you couldn't go and that be the end of it? Why did she force you to sort through the emotions you very clearly weren't ready to sort through?

"I can't see Cole and Lady Serena together, mama. I just can't. It would kill me to have to see them together again and know that I have to come to terms with he didn't care for me as much as I thought he did."

"Y/N..."

"And I can't take the looks of the ton. They'll look at me with such pity. And the whispers, mama, the whispers. Poor girl, they'll say. She can't even keep a prince. She lost him twice, to the same lady, they'll say. She'll never marry. She'll grow to be just like that Lady Amber, they'll say," you sobbed. "I can't be like Amber, mama. She can handle the whispers, but I can't."

"Mother, are you—what's happening?" your brother asked, entering your room.

Both you and your mother looked to him, neither of you saying anything. But, as you looked at the angry vein bulging on his forehead and his clenched jaw, you could tell that he was ready to murder.

"Elias, dear, just wait downstairs," your mother said.

Oh, now that was one way to poke the bear. Your brother took a step forward, his fists clenched, as he argued, "No! Who's hurt my sister? Who do I have to—"

And, for whatever it was worth, you were grateful to have Elias on your side. Even though you had grown angry at his meddling at the start of the season, you secretly were grateful that was overprotective. Because, when the moment finally comes for him to defend you, you know that he would jump at the opportunity.

"Elias! I will not repeat myself!"

He paused, before slowly backing out of the room. Your mother's attention turned back to you, and she said, "Y/N, darling, we don't have to go."

"No, you should go. You and Elias should go. He still needs to find a bride of his own and—"

"Don't think you're any better than your brother, darling. I will not repeat myself. The three of us are staying in tonight."

You opened your mouth to argue again, but she shushed you, pulling you out of your room and down the stairs.

"Now will you tell me who I have to fight on behalf of my sister?" Elias asked, waiting at the bottom of the staircase.

"If you see the prince and can get away with hitting him, be my guest," your mother said. "Join us in the sitting room, Elias. We're not going to the ball tonight."

Elias's mouth fell open. "Not going? But I've spent hours getting ready!"

Your mother's eyes narrowed. "You may be the man of the house, Elias, but I am still your mother, and you still have to do as I say."

And so, with minimal arguing on his part, Elias joined the two of you in the sitting room, where your mother continued you with your embroidery while you and your brother started a game of chess. And, for a fleeting moment, it pained you to do so, for the last time the three of you gathered like this was the night your heart was broken. But, as Elias made a fool of himself by losing a game in under two minutes, you couldn't help but laugh and bask in the calm revelry. Perhaps this was reminiscent of the night your heart broke. But perhaps it could also be the start of a life where you didn't have to constantly think of the pain the prince and Lady Serena had put you through. Perhaps one day, your heart wouldn't ache as much. But, until that day came, at least you still had your family.