Chapter 13 🌟

Hey guys sorry this chap is gonna be shorter than usual! (For this book's standards at least Lmfao) at 4k words!

Also, finally we get a taste of Haruki's POV!

Pls make sure to comment and lmk what you think! I love interacting with you guys and reading your reactions rlly motivate me!

••Haruki's POV••

The sun's lowering, the clock's ticking, the moon is sure to rise any second now, and my heartbeat has yet to slow down. Kneeling on my bed, my white hair thrown up in a haphazard bun that resembles a blizzard of sorts, I nearly rip apart my duffel bag.

My lips once glossy and pink have turned into an angry cherry red from my constant biting of them. The sharpness of my canines almost tore into the plush skin, but I can't find it in myself to care. Not now.

Not when I can't find my diary!!

If I didn't open the windows of my balcony to let in some of the fresh sea breeze earlier, I'm positive I would be sweating by now. My body feels hot, the sound of my heartbeat thumps against my earbuds, the world around me begins to blur-

Oh, am I crying again?

I suck it up, gulping down a wave of fresh tears as I force myself to move on and dig through my duffel bag in search of the diary. It's a lost battle I refuse to back down from, I know it isn't here.

I know it's on the plush pink sofa right in the middle of my closet, I know it's still open, and I know my mom saw what was inside. I know from the dozens upon dozens, maybe even hundreds of missed calls from my mother.

Every once in a while, my phone still lights up with her name on the screen. I wince every time, my mind running a mile a minute as I hastily pick up the device, a beaded charm with a sparkly star on the end dangling around as I press the red circle and hope that she'd try to stop calling for now.

Guilt eats up at my soul, kicking and screaming at me everytime my manicured finger lands on the 'decline call' option.

I hate it, I hate myself for doing this. Why am I so scared?! I want to answer the phone and tell her everything, to cry to her and hear her comfort me. I desperately want to hear her voice, almost to a selfish extent.

But, I wouldn't be able to live with myself If I threw all of this on my mom.

I love her too much to put such a burden on her...

There's a slight tremor to my hands, I notice only when the screen of my phone lights up once more with my mothers face on the screen. I bite back a sigh, a tired, terribly anxious sigh, and press on the red button once more.

The screen then reverts to my homepage, showing a picture of me and Runa taken weeks ago while on our vacation with auntie Tsunade.

It was our auntie who took the picture, and it's my absolute favorite. The two of us were wearing Kimonos and holding hands, enjoying the festivities that were taking place in the land of lightning during their annual summer nights firework festival.

The screen then dims from the lack of contact, ultimately turning black as I stare at it.

I groan out loud, shutting my eyes and falling back flatly on the soft mattress. Tugging my bottom lip between my teeth once more, ignoring the pinching feeling of my canines scraping against the reddened skin no matter how much it hurts.

Tears of frustration begin to prick at the corner of my eyes and I sigh, bringing up my hands and rubbing at them in hopes of putting a stop to the clear upcoming crying session my body is warning me of.