Technicalities

The day of the recital is an anxious one for Harry as he adjusts his black tie for the hundredth time already today. He stands in the middle of the living room, watching as the caterers finish the cheese board that Taylor insisted on having. Taylor stands in the middle of it all helping to adjust some of the drink cups.

Harry feels useless standing in the middle of the room, but he doesn't want to go over and get in anyone's way. Besides, he's perfectly content standing on this side of the room. He watches quietly as the board is finished and the caterers slowly leave his apartment, leaving the two alone.

"I think everything looks good, we just have to wait for everyone to come," Taylor sighs happily. Harry rotates the ring on his finger in an attempt to keep his hands occupied.

"What time is everyone coming," Harry questions as he glances towards the clock. The recital was roughly planned for two, but he thinks Taylor told most of the guests to arrive a little earlier to enjoy some food and drinks.

Anxiously, Harry makes his way into the kitchen to grab something to drink to ease his growing nerves. His stomach twists into a knot and, for a moment, he considers canceling the event altogether. No matter how much the thought entices him, he knows he would never go through with it. He's put way too much time into this to cancel it last minute.

His anxiety is only worsened, however, as the doorbell rings. Green eyes turn hurriedly towards Taylor who can barely contain her smile as she rushes over to the door. He watches as she takes a breath before opening it. Three girls who Harry, surprisingly, don't know stand in the doorway. Taylor gives the three girls hugs and ushers them inside.

Harry forces a breath and then another before walking over to the girls and greeting them. They're all pretty in their own way, he decides. Two of the girls share the same brown hair while the other one has decided to dye it an unnatural shade of blond. He listens to the girls' names, but he doesn't put them to memory. Odds are that he won't see them again and he's too busy listening to the song repeat itself over and over in his own head to focus on anything else.

Taylor leads the girls to the drinks and snacks as they gossip about something Harry isn't concerned about.

As the clock ticks closer to two and no new guests come knocking at the door, Harry starts to feel as though this was a terrible idea altogether. Remaining optimistic seems futile at this point, but it's unlike his mother to miss an event. He pulls out his phone and glances down at his text messages, hoping to see something from his mom.

12:03 PM

Are you still coming?

12:39 PM

It's at 2 if you are

1:31 PM

Mom?

1:45 PM

I need a headcount...

1:56 PM

If you come late the door will be open

Taylor's eyes met Harry's from across the room and she gives him a sympathetic smile. He watches as she excuses herself from her friends to come over.

"What do you want to do," Taylor questions softly. Harry glances at the clock. The minute hand rests on the 12 at the top. They won't be able to wait much longer.

"I guess we just start. She can always come in later if she's-"

Harry's interrupted by the sound of a knock at the door. His stomach drops as his eyes shoot to the door. Taylor's eyes light up and she gives him a nod of encouragement to go and open it.