Familial Ties

The last thing Harry expected when he arrived at the address Louis sent him was to be standing outside one of the nicest apartment buildings in town. Hesitantly, Harry walks in and is greeted by a cold, open room. Green eyes fall on a figure standing in the back of the lobby, sitting in one of the giant red armchairs that are scattered around. 

"I didn't think you'd actually come," Louis sighs. Harry shrugs as he walks to where Louis is. Slowly, the older man stands. He doesn't look much different than they did the last time they talked. Surely something should've changed about Louis' appearance in the month that he's gone without seeing him. 

"I got curious," Harry replies curtly. Truthfully, he doesn't know what he's getting into or how Louis could explain things enough for Harry to forgive him. Taylor told him to come in with an open mind and that's what Harry's trying to do.

Louis' eyes fall as he motions for Harry to follow him. As they begin the wall down a long hallway Harry can't help but ask, "How did you know I was going to be playing?"

"Taylor told me," Louis replies. He turns back to look at Harry as they come to a stop in front of a series of elevators. Pieces of abstract art hanging off of the walls. Maybe in a different life, Harry would like abstract art, but it's never been his thing. Maybe this is Louis' favorite form of art, he does live here after all. 

The sound of an elevator door opening crushes the suffocating silence between the two of them. Louis gestures for Harry to step inside, which Harry does. The inside of the elevator has a scenic photo of the Los Angeles skyline. It's outdated, Harry can tell that much. His own apartment building can't be seen in the landscape. 

He glances at Louis as the elevator's doors close. "You know, I didn't like her at first but she's starting to grow on me," Louis chuckles. 

"She does that," Harry smiles. The ride up the elevator is silent after that. An awkward air hangs between them as the doors slide open. 

Louis leads Harry down another long, cold hallway. The walls and floor are all painted white with abstract shapes in various colors framed along the path. Harry didn't take Louis for someone who would enjoy the kind of space like this. The air is stiff and dead, while Louis seems to always be alive. Harry would've taken Louis as someone who would appreciate the more classical ways that people wield wealth. If Harry had any say in the matter, that's what he would do with his own families' riches. 

"This is me," Louis replies as they stop at a door along the way. It doesn't take long for Louis to unlock the door and allow the both of them in. 

Harry is taken aback by the beauty of the space when he steps inside. He didn't expect Louis to be living so lavishly, especially in a place like LA. The apartment has been lived in with clothes in various places and a couple of dishes in the sink. It smells of Louis, in the way that Harry can't quite put his finger on. Harry guesses dark roast coffee and caramel, something that reminds Harry of his favorite time of year and, coincidently, the season that they met. 

He follows Louis deeper into the apartment as they pass a couple of doors before coming into the living area. A show has been paused, but Louis turns it off before Harry has the chance to catch what it is. Cream-colored pillows and a throw blanket lay sprawled against the charcoal-colored sofa. However, the most striking thing about the room is the wall.

Photos and names and sticky notes cover the wall of the living room. Usually, Harry would be hesitant putting anything on the walls of a space that isn't his to avoid damaging the paint, but Louis doesn't seem to share the same concerns.

Harry takes a step closer to the wall, noticing first the seflie in the center. The girl in the middle is pretty with long wavy brown hair. Her eyebrows are arched in a way similar to that of Louis'. "Who's she," Harry questions. For a moment, there's a flash of jealousy in his tone, but Harry quickly extinguishes it.