Red Rose

Harry wipes his hands along the sides of his pants. He feels stupid pacing around his apartment. The khaki pants that he pulled out of the back of his closet don't quite fit right anymore and the polo he's wearing hasn't been ironed in a couple of months. A spiderman bandaid wraps itself around his fingers as he clutches to the flower he's holding for dear life. Logically, he knew that roses had thorns, he's just never handled roses personally and didn't think they would be nearly as sharp. 

A chill runs down his spine and he's not sure if it's the breeze or his nerves, but he blames the breeze regardless. One part of Harry tells him that he should just text Louis and cancel before he embarrasses himself too hard. On the other hand, he wants to go through with this. 

Before he has the chance to run, he hears a knock at his door. Harry gives himself a minute before going over and opening it. Louis stands in the doorway wearing a pair of light-wash denim pants and a simple orange button-down. Harry steps aside to allow Louis in.

"I didn't know we were dressing up or I would've put on better trousers," Louis chuckles. Harry turns to face him, rose in hand. He feels dumb doing this. 

It's not like this is the first date that Harry's ever been on. In fact, he's been on loads of first dates with loads of different women. This one, however, is different. Louis is different.  

"I got you this," Harry says as he offers the rose to Louis. Louis' face lights up as he accepts the flower. 

"Shit, I left something in the car, I'll be right back," Louis curses. He gives Harry a lop-sided smile before turning out of the apartment.

As soon as Louis turns the corner, Harry lets out a breath. He takes this opportunity to rub his sweaty palms along his pants again. Truly, he shouldn't be this nervous. It's just Louis. They've hung out plenty of times before. He knows this time shouldn't be different, neither of them have changed after all... not really. 

Louis' voice interrupts Harry's thoughts as he comes back around the corner with a small bundle of roses in hand. They're of various colors, some vibrant red or a gentle pink or snow white. Harry's heart beats a little faster in his chest as he takes the flowers from Louis. 

"I've never gotten flowers before... thanks," Harry hums as he sets the roses on the island. Together, Harry's single rose looks pathetic next to Louis' bundle but he tries not to be too harsh towards himself. 

Louis smiles, "Well, now you have."

Harry leads Louis into the living room. It took forever to clean up, not that there was anything really to clean up. Harry found himself spending the last couple of days meticulously cleaning his apartment, worried about Louis seeing dust or dirt in any of the corners. He knows that Louis' been here before and has probably already seen his fair share of messes, but it's different. 

"It looks great in here, Haz," Louis breathes as they step into the living area. 

Harry added a couple of pillows and blankets to the couch, unsure what all Louis would want. He made sure to grab a knit blanket and a softer felt one in case Louis had a preference. Little lights hang around the couch and television as well. 

Nervously, Harry grabs a handful of M&Ms from one of the bowls on the coffee table. Unsure of Louis' favorite snacks, Harry bought some of everything. A bowl for sour gummies, some pretzels, chocolate candy, or gummy bears sits on the table. A couple of various bags of chips line his kitchen island as well. 

"I don't think we'll be running out of sweets anytime soon. Did you sell them out," Louis giggles. Harry feels his cheeks go pink as Louis takes a single gummy bear from the bowl to eat.