11• It's Been A Long, Long Time

🌐

🌐

Twelve Years Ago

S A V A N N A H, G E O R G I A

Sosa Estate

Ivan riffles through the nicknacks on his shelf, an uncomfortable tension making him gulp. Callaia has been through the ringer, without a doubt. He wants nothing more than to help her, but that would mean actually getting her to speak at all to start with. It's been four months since she was left with him. Salem hasn't contacted him once, not even to evasively inquire about his illegitimate daughter. Ester has been giving him the cold shoulder as well, not exactly thrilled to have to take care of one of their family's dirty secrets nor of their son's sudden aversion to visiting home.

The slight girl has yet to utter a single syllable. She doesn't cry or laugh or smile, hasn't even grunted. She fell on her knees last week and she simply took the pain in as if expected, as if the world had already nailed it into her skull that it was a cruel place to be and no place to thrive.

She does however, listen to Ivan when he speaks. It started off small at first. In those early days, nothing short of a gunshot would be needed to get her attention. The more Ivan spoke with her though, the more her eyes followed him around. Nowadays the precious girl clings to his pant leg at every chance and when he asks her to come to him, she does so without hesitation.

Trust is so vital to build between a caretaker and his charge. Ivan knows this. He also knows trust takes time and effort, particularly in cases like hers where there's no history to pick through yet. He doesn't know much about her.

He knows she's not a morning person - turns into the most vile creature on the face of the planet until he feeds her. She doesn't like strawberries - he found that out when he caught her trying to pick the little hairs out of one. She seems to like jewel toned colors like ruby and jade, and hates social gatherings. That's all situational, based on nonverbal reactions he's managed to get from her.