2• The Garden of Vipers

🌐

🌐

Savannah,Georgia

𝟾:𝟹𝟾 𝚊.𝚖.

The drive into Savannah knocks the wind from my sails. The further into the perfectly squared districts we go, the less my thoughts are on those men back at the airport. No, now my calculative thoughts have turned into murky memories from long ago.

My reflection echoes back at me through the tinted windows showing a woman, no longer a girl, with messy white hair. Her ice blue eyes narrow, not truly irritated at her reflection as much as at her surroundings. I yank off the damn infinity scarf and throw it to the floor.

Alec clears his throat just as I begin to brush my fingers through my tangled hair. "There's going to be a welcome home party when you get there. Just thought I'd give you a heads up."

I sigh, rolling my eyes, as I fall back into my seat. Of course there will be. My grandmother never passes up the chance to frolic with Savannah's high society, even if that means putting me as the reason for coming on the invitation.

I blandly eye my clothes before letting my head fall to the side where I once again stare out the window. If I show up in leather and covered in mud, it's her own damn fault for not giving me an advance notice.

"The party will officially begin at your approximate arrival at 0900 hours. It's set to end at 1300 hours. After which you're to have tea with your grandmother. At 1400 hours, you'll join your grandfather in the cigar room where he has an announcement to make for you alone. At 1600 hours, you'll dine with your immediate family members. After that you're free of any other engagements as far as your family is concerned. As for Foundation appointments, you have a cellular meeting with Walter and Benedict at approximately 1800 hours. They wish to discuss Benedict's infiltration in France with you. Gabriella also wishes a conference call with you immediately after with Declan. There's a disagreement between the two and Walter is begging for you to solve it in his stead as Declan rarely listens to anyone but you. There's also a possible mission tonight Walt wishes to discuss with you while you're in the area."

I look over to Alec who is scrolling through an email on his phone that he's reading from. He began to whisper so only I can hear as soon as he got to Foundation subject matter. The last thing we need is to have the suits reporting in to my grandmother. She's been itching to uncover what I've been up to these past three years for a while now. Paw knowing some of what I do is one thing, she's a confidentiality crisis waiting to happen.

She's the only reason I do not disclose everything with Paw. I'd trust him with my life, but he loves her and love can be the most persuasive enemy in my experience. It's hurt me to have to keep Gabriella out of most inner circle intel since she's married my brother, but she loves him and I can no longer be sure something won't slip through her lips. I can't allow my loyalty to cloud my judgement. Our cause cannot become susceptible to infiltration.