13• This is Who We Are

(A/n: I'm taking down the other chapter 13 and rewriting it with what would've been chapter 14, and am just combining them. I really hated that last chapter. Like a lot. So yeah. I'm going to use the Russian politician names that are real this time, but when I go to actually publish this as an original I'll be changing them out.

And there's good reason.

When I do research for a book, it's a couple of days, maybe a rabbit hole or two, but Russia has been a strange experience for me. Everything I dig into leads to hours down a rabbit hole. For instance, Putin's favorite Oligarch should've been point blank, but when I got to his family it went downhill. It wasn't his wife or his adopted kid. It was when I got curious why he didn't have children. Then I found out about his nephew, which led to his nephews wife who's literally called the 'Marie Antoinette of Uzbekistan'. Her uncle supported a tyrant (who only died a few years ago mind you!) who boiled his enemies in oil. It got wild quick. So they'll show up in book 3, with the continuation of the Russia plot even though it'll be set in France. You'll see.

The reason I'm choosing to be vague in the original version that'll be published one day, is every time I go down one of these oligarch rabbit holes someone spoke out and got sued or went missing. I know enough now to be wary. Especially since a lot of small time journalists got attacked. We're talking very minor publications that shouldn't have been on their radar whatsoever. On the off chance Putin goes bonkers and attacks us or Europe and wins - I'd rather not be boiled alive or put in a prison where r*** is used as a method of torture. These people in the Russian government are truly terrifying. I follow a lot of Russian news channels that I have to translate and it only adds to the fear I have now with the current political turmoil already going on over there. Especially now that I've learned how to separate the propaganda from the truth.

It may seem silly to you guys, but I've dived very deep into this and I've seen shit I'll never unsee. I've gotten a hair's breath from being in the dark web side of the fuckery and it's scary even that close. If I've learned anything from this, it's that the threat is very real if you happen to get on their radar.

I regret nothing though. After Li Weinliang I was determined to dive as deep as I could to give some realism to the current events I touch on in this story.)

🌐

𝚂𝚊𝚟𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚊𝚑, 𝙶𝚎𝚘𝚛𝚐𝚒𝚊
𝙲𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚊𝚒𝚊'𝚜 𝙱𝚎𝚍𝚛𝚘𝚘𝚖

𝟽:𝟹𝟶 𝚊.𝚖.

"Go-go-go!" A soldier bellows to his comrades as he stands on the mound of a trench. Fire burns behind his men as they scramble to retreat. It lights his face, a face marred with dirt and sweat like war paint. He holds a rifle in his lax left hand while his right hand swings repeatedly in the same directing motion to fall back. His men pant, a determined look still on their faces even with exhaustion weighing them down. A whistle zings across the sky above, getting louder and louder as it nears land.