5• Have Mercy on My Soul

Dedicated to @Ostrand who has been such a sweetheart and has been along for the ride since the very beginning of this particular book (so the beginning of my writing career on here)

Dedicated to @Ostrand who has been such a sweetheart and has been along for the ride since the very beginning of this particular book (so the beginning of my writing career on here). You can thank her for both the last chapter and this chapter as they've been pursued because of her request. If not for her I would've jumped on the others first. So blow her some kisses and give her a big virtual hug. She's a doll 🖤🖤

🌐

𝙽𝚒𝚗𝚎 𝚈𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚜 𝙰𝚐𝚘

Savannah, Georgia

𝚂𝚘𝚜𝚊 𝙴𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚝𝚎

It's always so cold down here in the training facility. There's no sunlight, no warmth, only cold grey concrete. It sterilizes the senses, honing in our perceptions for rewiring. There's nothing here to distract or detract from the objective of the day. There's only us and the grey.

Before us, on a long stainless steel table, are three photos.
Only three photos.

"Today's lesson is a heavy burden to learn, but a necessary one. I've worried over teaching you this for months now, but Phil made a good point."

I look up at Paw who stands at my side. His face is somber, even more so than it typically is when we're down here. For nearly a year now, often multiple times a day, we come down here. I'm more familiar with this room now than my own or his office, which use to be my favorite place to be.

Some days, I learn things that are obvious and make sense - like combat, evasive maneuvers, and sociology. Other days, the lessons aren't so obvious. In fact, they're often riddling and paradoxical. On those sort of days, I bite my tongue even though I haven't the slightest idea why we're doing those lessons. I just keep pushing through them, hoping that one day they'll make sense and be a worthy tool in my arsenal.