12| (s)he's just not that into you

IN THE THIRD WEEK OF NOVEMBER, nearing the end of her first course as a college sophomore, Audrey was knee-deep in her studies. She had only recently finished her midterms, and the classes were starting to rush through the material before finals.

     She buttoned up her cardigan, hearing muffled noises come from the common room. Grabbing her purse, she walked out of her room. "Thanks a lot." She heard Paris tell the delivery man. "I have a photograph from before you moved it, so if you damage it, you'll be hearing from my lawyer."

    Audrey stepped out of her room, coming face-to-face with an eight-foot tall wooden machine. "Is this what they used to execute people in the olden days?" She asked, heading straight to the coffee machine in the common room.

    "It's a printing press. It's what I got from Asher's will."

    "The dead professor?" She asked bluntly.

    "My late boyfriend."

    "That doesn't sound any better." She murmured. "Are you planning on selling it?"

    "No. I know, it's a little big in the room, but we don't have to leave it here." She said hopefully. "We could move it about... six inches, from any direction."

     Audrey considered the possibility of moving out for a moment. "Paris," she groaned as she put the capsule into the coffee machine. "I'm sorry for your loss, again, but we can't leave this here."

    "I have nowhere else to put it!" She said desperately. "And think about the benefits of having it here. No one else will have one, which means it's unique, which makes us unique. Kids our age do crazy things to look unique— piercings, blue hair, you name it. It'll be a great conversation piece, we'll be the talk of Branford."

    "I believe we will."

    "We can print our own newsletter, if you'd like."

    "I'll deal with you when the caffeine kicks in." She sighs wearily, sipping her cup of coffee.

    "Well, sorry, it's from my dead boyfriend. I apologise if my grief is inconveniencing you. Maybe I'll just put myself on an iceberg, float myself to sea so that no one will have to deal with my suffering—!" Before she could continue, Audrey walked out of the dorm.

    Audrey made her way to class, sitting on the second row. When the lecture started, she started scribbling notes down in her notebook. She looked up, seeing Joshua walk into the class. He quietly apologised to the professor for coming in late, then sat a few rows behind her. She glanced back at him, slightly confused. She was certain he wasn't in her class.

By the end of the class, when she walked out the door, Joshua followed behind her. "Hey."

"Hey." She smiled. "I didn't know you were in this class."

"Oh, I take the class with another professor, but yours is the one that actually writes the final, so..." He elaborated. "Might as well."

"Smart choice."

"Why, thank you."

     Audrey sighed when they stepped into the courtyard between the buildings. "It's dark out already." She said. "Remind me never to take a late class in winter again."

"Noted." He laughed lightly. "Hey, we should go to Reese's."

    Reese's was a fine dining place near the campus, a staple for the students. She has been there a few times before, only recalling how overpriced the place is, not suitable for the budget she's on. "I think i'm a little too underdressed for that." She looked down at her clothes.