20| the holiday

DOYLE WAS RIGHT, Logan Huntzberger was a damn good writer.

     Audrey sunk back into her seat in awe, finishing the last sentence of the journal piece he wrote. She couldn't believe that he took such a mundane subject and turned it into something so captivating and readable. Finishing the article only made her more curious about Logan's opinions on other topics, thinking of a good number of journalistic pieces that would've been amplified with his input, if only he bothered to show up to the newspaper and edit.

     "Oh, he's good." She admitted, setting the newspaper down. "Too good."

    "Yeah, well, you need to hurry up and edit it." Paris said strictly. "Printing is in an hour if we want to get the paper out before the holidays."

     She groaned at the mention of the holidays. Audrey's family usually spent the Christmas holidays at their lake house, but ever since they sold it, she hadn't been looking forward to the holidays. She then figured that she'd spend the holidays in her apartment, visiting her mother only on Christmas day. Even that, she had to force herself into.

Audrey skimmed over the paper one last time, rereading a few sentences. She looked up at Paris, pursing her lips, about to say something she knew Paris would be baffled by.  "Print it as it is." Audrey suggested.

     Paris, predictably, looked at her as if she was deranged. "We can't do that."

    "Why not?" She asked genuinely. "I hate to admit it, Paris, but it's just that good. It doesn't need any editing. If I were you, I'd leave it as it is."

    "Fine, I'll edit it." Paris said, scoffing at her. "You know, of all people, I didn't think you would be biased about this."

    Audrey looked at her, lips agape. "What's that supposed to mean?" She exclaimed. "I am being perfectly unbiased and objective on my opinion."  She stated defensively, looking over her shoulder to see Rory walk into the newspaper room. "Ask Rory, she read it."

    "Hey." Rory greeted as she approached the two. "Read what?"

    "Huntzberger's paper."

    "Oh, that." She said, nodding. "I believe I used the word sublime after I read it."

    Audrey rose her hands up to gesture to Rory, triumphed. "I rest my case."If the last time she interacted with Logan had played out differently, Audrey would've been on her way to praise his work. Instead, she was still bitter about the way he reacted to her helping him with the article piece.

In truth, she was more bothered than she let on. Although she knew what it meant to be friends with someone like Logan, she didn't expect him to be hot and cold after their friendship developed significantly. Friends, she pondered at the word briefly. That didn't seem to encapsulate their relationship. Audrey gave up on trying to find a word that labels whatever she had with Logan.

"Hey, I just remembered that you left your notes in our dorm." Rory said. "Could you come by today and grab them before I leave to Stars Hollow?"

"You're leaving today?" She frowned at her, turning to Paris. "You're leaving, too?"

"Tomorrow, right after the paper is out." Paris said. "Aren't you going back to Hartford?"

"No." Audrey said mournfully. "My dad isn't back yet, and I really don't want to spend the holidays alone with my mother. So I figured I just stay in New Haven."

     Rory looked at her sympathetically. "You could come spend the holidays with me." She suggested.

Audrey thought back to tenth grade, when she had to write an article on Stars Hollow and decided to visit. She faintly remembered the small town, the diner Rory always talked about, and the gazebo. "That's nice of you, but I think I'll pass." She shook her head, remembering her distaste of small towns. "Maybe this is good for me. Spending a little time alone to relax."

Paris snickered. "What?" Audrey furrowed her eyebrows.

"Spending a little time alone?" Paris repeated. "Like you don't do that already?"

"Well, yeah, but I spend time alone to work." She said. "I haven't relaxed, since..."

"Nineteen eighty-four?" Rory suggested.

"Last summer." Audrey rested her head on her desk, groaning. "Maybe you're right." She said, closing her eyes. "Time alone is not what I need."

"Well, the Stars Hollow offer still stands." Rory rubbed her back, showing her pity. "Until..." She checked her watch. "Two hours from now."

After saying their goodbyes, Audrey finished up the last bit of work she had to do for the paper, and left. On her way back from campus, she started brainstorming ideas for the holiday. She had to keep herself busy, not wanting to fall into a spiral of misery from spending too much time alone. Running out of ideas, she started considering the Stars Hollow offer.

She grabbed her apartment key from her left pocket, inserting it into the keyhole and twisting the doorknob. Before she stepped through the door, she opened her flip phone to find a new text.

Pack your bags for a one night trip,
I'll pick you up at nine next Monday.
Time to payback that favour, Wilde.

    Audrey felt the peculiar mixture of anxiety and excitement drizzle in her stomach, closing her cellphone as she contemplated what he could possible be up to. She closed her phone, stepping into the apartment. Closing the door behind her, she instantly noticed the paper on the floor directly in front of her door. Someone must've slid it under the door, she thought.

    Curious, she picked it up, flipping the paper to read;

    Tristan Huntzberger and Chelsea Hughes request the pleasure of your company at celebration of their wedding.
    217 Old River Road, Lincoln RI 02792

    And on the very bottom in neat handwriting; Addressed to; Logan Huntzberger's Plus One.