21| the longest ride

LOGAN STARTED THE ENGINE, hitting the gas pedal, ready to leave just when Audrey ran to his car and knocked on the window.

He stopped the car abruptly, reversing his grey Porsche back into the parking spot in front of her apartment building. Audrey waited, two coffees in her hand, as he backed up the car. "What was that?" She looked at him questionably as she got into the car, setting down the two coffee cups. "Were you just about to drive off?"

Sure, she was five minutes late, but she didn't think he'd give up so easily. Logan started the car once again, and maybe for the first time in his life, appeared slightly sheepish. "I didn't think you would show up." He exhales with a quiet laugh. "You didn't exactly respond to my text."

     She hid her triumphed grin by sipping her coffee. Over the past week, she gave him no indication by call or text that she would show up to the wedding. Admittedly, she enjoyed knowing that she kept him on his toes, and that she would always have the option to back off last minute. "I wasn't going to." She said with a shrug. "It's winter break. No one plans a winter wedding."

     "Yeah, Tristan and Chelsea aren't exactly the most traditional couple." He said, starting to drive. "At least he can't forget his anniversary day if it's on New Year's Eve. Plus, free fireworks."

"I love fireworks." She said. "Are we staying there overnight?" It didn't matter what he would answer with, really. She learned her lesson to always pack nightwear whenever she goes to a roadtrip with Logan.

    "They booked a room at the hotel for everyone, but we could leave around midnight, if you want." He suggested loosely. "Oh, and I'm going to pick up Finn and Colin, they're about twenty minutes away, but it's on the road to the hotel."

So he does have friends there, she thought, scratching out one of her theories on why he invited her to the wedding. Audrey nodded, pursing her lips. "That's fine."

     "What?" He glanced at her then back at the road, sensing that she has something to say. "Come on, spit it out." He prods.

     She feigned an innocent look. "I don't know what you're talking about."

     Logan shook his head knowingly. "You want to ask why I'm bringing you to the wedding."

     "I was going to wait until tonight, I'm not that forward." She admitted. "But since you brought it up, sure. I want to know what you're getting me into."

    "It's kind of a long story."

Audrey let out a chuckle after sipping her coffee, rolling her eyes as she noted how slow he was driving. "With the way you're driving, we have all the time in the world."

"Fine." He heaves out a sigh. "My mom pulled a few strings and double booked my room with Candice. I only found out because Tristan checked the bookings and gave me a heads up, and that there's no rooms left."

    "Who's Candice?" She asked, her interest piqued.

    "She's my mother's friend's daughter, she studies philosophy at Harvard." He explained, rushing past the details. "Our families have been trying to set us up together since she graduated high school last year."

"Can't Candice just stay at a friend's hotel room?" Audrey suggested in an obvious manner.

Logan shook his head. "That's the thing, Candice isn't exactly against the idea of us ending up together." He said, then adding; "According to Tristan, she already unpacked her things."

She frowned. "Why wouldn't she be against this?"

"We might have hooked up." Logan said regrettably. "Ages ago. It was a no strings attached thing."