15| sleepless in seattle

LOGAN WOKE UP FROM THE sounds of constant shuffling coming from above him. Every now and then he'd be awaken by the noise, and he'd sluggishly ask Audrey what she was doing. Only an hour into his sleep, and he'd woken up approximately seven times from the noise.

"Get up." He heard Audrey say, shaking him awake.

"What?" He asked, lacking alertness.

"Get on the bed."

"Huh?"

"I can't sleep knowing you're on the floor of a roach-infested motel, Logan, get up." She said half-heartedly, helping him onto the bed.

Logan was too drowsy to fully appreciate the gesture, but he gave a small nod. "Thanks, Audrey." He muttered under his breath as he flopped onto the soft mattress, unaware of her vigilance to him speaking her first name for the first time.

She placed a pillow between them, and he drifted back to sleep. Meanwhile, Audrey kept obliviously making noise from her persistent lumbering. She'd switch sleep positions every minute, trying to find a comfortable stance. He could hear her, even in his sleep, and groan.

    Logan got a good five and a half hours of sleep before he couldn't take her shuffling anymore. "Seriously, what are you doing?" He whined, turning to her with sleepy eyes.

     "I'm trying to sleep." Audrey answered matter-of-factly, seeming wide awake.

     "Trying to sleep?" He asked, heavy-eyed. "It's—" He shook his wrist to readjust his watch. "Five in the morning— the sun is out, and you didn't sleep at all?"

     "No." She answered quietly.

     Logan stood up, rubbing his eyes.  "Alright, that's it." He said as he got up and went into the bathroom for two minutes to wash his face and brush his teeth, then came out and said; "Get up."

Reluctantly, she got off the bed. "Where are we going?"

    "Early breakfast." He clapped his hands together, grabbing his puffer jacket from the edge of the bed and putting it on.

    "It's five in the morning."

    "I'm sure there's a 24/7 diner near here." He shrugged off. He turned to her, studying her hesitant expression. "You can't sleep, and now I can't sleep knowing you're fully awake, bored, and with very easy access to a permanent marker."

    Should've thought of that sooner, she thought. "Okay." She grabbed her puffer jacket, seeing as it was still raining outside, and wore it over Logan's cotton jacket.

    They headed downstairs, asking the front desk lady about nearby breakfast places. She informed them about a diner within walking distance of the motel, although they'd have to walk in the rain to get there.

    When they walked into the diner, they realised that it was 1950's themed. Black and white tiles on the floor, booth tables by the window, and blue stools around the counter. One man sat on the stool with a newspaper in his hands, and a mug of coffee in another. Logan looked over his shoulder to her, sending her a shrug that said not bad.

    They sat down at a booth, skimming through the menu. Audrey turned back to see an illuminated Jukebox producing a static fuzz.  "What is that song?" She asked, listening closely to the muffled instrumentals.

     "Welll, hello!" The waitress, no younger than forty-five, stepped up to them. "What can I get'cha?" She chirped.

     "We'll have two of the greek yoghurt bowls and two coffees." Logan said, seeing Audrey perk up to add to the order.