Chapter 3

As we entered the palace, maids and guards ran around the place, stopping to bow their heads in respect to me. I walked forward as the head maid ran up to me and curtsied to me and the boys.

"Welcome back, Ma'lady. Would you like me to tell you the schedule for today and tomorrow?" I sighed at her formality.

"Eileen, I've told you before I left, stop being so formal. But please, go on." Eileen nodded and started talking.

"Last dinner will be served in an hour, Dal Makhani with papadum will be served. Then Pray will begin an hour after. That's all for today. Tomorrow at first light the cremation begins, so we'll need to be out by 5am to make it to the River in time. The ceremony will be held by Priest Gautam. No conferences for the day in respect to the fallen." She listed off. I nodded in acknowledgment. Steve and Bucky looked confused. Probably from the food for today or maybe for the no food being listed for tomorrow.

"You'll need to arrange for meals for tomorrow for our guests. They do not need to participate in our traditions." I told her, Steve placed a hand on my upper arm, which made Eileen stare in shock.

"We can participate in the traditions. It's important to you." He said in a low whisper. "Besides, we'll need to learn them eventually, right?" Bucky nodded next to him in agreement.

"Are you sure? We eat the favorite meal of the fallen tonight and no food tomorrow until the cremation is finished. It could be a whole other day before you eat again." I tried to explain. That's why we call it last dinner. It would have been Ma's last dinner of choice. Steve looked over to Bucky, having a silent conversation, before turning to me and nodding. I sighed and turned back to Eileen, "Alright then, scratch that then. No food. But Chicken tikka masala when it's all over. Please." What? I missed our food. I never really got to enjoy the authentic real thing in America and masala was so delicious! Eileen let out a small giggle at my request.

"Yes, Daneen. Would you like me to show our guests to their rooms so they can freshen up?" She asked, paying them no mind still. She was speaking to me, so she was only focused on me.

"No, I will take them. They'll be staying in the room next to mine. But there is two others coming from the ship that will need rooms, preferably not too far from us." I went to walk but stopped when she cleared her throat.

"Will you be staying in the royal room? Or your old room?" I froze a bit. I forgot I'd be moving to my parents room soon. Was I ready for that now?

"Uh-No. My old room until we can cleanse the Palace." I saw her nod as I walked away with Bucky and Steve behind me. They kept quiet until we reached their rooms. "Bucky on the right and Steve on the left. My room is in the middle." Bucky stared at me as Steve nodded going to his room. Bucky stayed. "Is there something wrong?" I asked him.

"Not wrong.. I just thought we'd be sharing a room, not being separated." I gave him a look of shock, which made heat rise in his cheeks and ears. "Not like that! Just for sleep, since we are soulmates." He scratched the back of his neck as he looked away. They both have the same nervous habits. Cute.

"We won't share a room until the bonding ceremony. It comes off as indecent." I explained, he looked up and nodded. "Are you okay?" I asked, he seemed off. More so than normal. Maybe nervous? Was he afraid of being alone? It is a new country for him, staying in your own room in an unknown place might be a bit scary.

"No. I'm okay." I nodded.

"I'll knock when dinner is ready." I told him as he stepped into his room. I took a breath as he closed his door. I turned and stared at my door. I hadn't been in there for years. My Ma was the last one in there with me and now she's gone. I just stood there for a bit. I wasn't ready for this.