여덟: magical beings

"Let the mark embedded in this flesh burn, for the values a slave must possess— this imbecile has decided to unlearn

"Let the mark embedded in this flesh burn, for the values a slave must possess— this imbecile has decided to unlearn." The woman enunciated, baffling Jungkook considerably.

Why was this person before Jungkook suddenly acting like she was delivering her dialogue in a high school musical? Was there even a need for her to have rendered her set of rhyming phrases in a singsong manner?

Profoundly puzzled, Jungkook scratched the back of his head obliviously.

The female gingerly fluttered open her eyes, only to discover a hale and hearty Jungkook- appearing exceptionally unperturbed for someone who was subjected to a spell a while ago. Contrary to how she had looked forward to her hex inflicting excruciating pain upon the male, the latter stood in a manner as if not even a single strand of his hair was touched by her malicious intentions. The woman just could not bring herself to wrap her head around what just took place. Moreover, to make her seem like the relatively more pathetic one at the scene, her mouth— which had been providing its services as a safe passage to all the curses and swear words in the world— continued to stay unhinged whilst her gaze was fixated at Jungkook.

"Hah! You really thought blabbing out sentences in a complex language would turn them into spells? What are you, a witch? How can you even live in such delusions?" Jungkook remarked. Though much to his dismay, his opponent's countenance did not alter as per his wishes.

"Y—you aren't Jungkook..." The woman trailed off, her pupils dilating in dubiety.

"What?" Jungkook exclaimed, causing the other presence to lift up her head in a jiffy in response to his call, "How dare you strip me off my name?"

The question that followed certainly disappointed the female like nothing else, as her facial features contorted in compliance to the dismay that had begun to surface in her heart. She instantly grumbled something under her breath prior to jilting her companion from the last one hour— her bathtub— and walking over to Jungkook. The man in return— before his stimulus could command him to glue his eyes closed so that the naked lady could have her privacy— discerned layers of clothing magically enveloping her one after the other. Like mist they loomed around, wrapping her body and protecting her chastity right in time.

Jungkook was about to pinch his arm to escape the reverie that had been diligently sweeping the rug from under his feet, only for the woman to hold it before he could. Observing her scrutinizing his arm as she twisted it according to her own convenience— and heedless of his— Jungkook mentally slapped himself to function before he ended up with a broken arm. And therefore, he jerked his arm back, cradling it as if it were a baby to him.

"How did you do that? Who are you? What do you want from me?" Jungkook whimpered, and the woman's eyebrows automatically knitted into one.

"Me? I'm Hwang Sohae, the master of your... doppelganger? But that doesn't matter, since I didn't cross the parallels of the universe to sneak into someone else's world. That's also why what matters here more is you showing up. What did you do? How did you come here? Furthermore, where's my Jungkook? What did you do to him?" All this while Sohae had been containing herself from being ticked off, although how she wound up raining questions on Jungkook proved that that was not the case anymore.

"Master of my doppelganger, parallels of the universe, sneaking into someone else's world blah blah blah! What are you even going on about? And I don't remember coming here at all. These feet of mine supposedly don't work on their own. Why else do you think I've been asking you the same question from the past one hour!" Jungkook yapped frustratingly, leading Sohae to arch her eyebrows in amusement.

"So you won't tell me about the procedure to locate routes to different worlds... Alright! I'll report you to the Head of this coven, and then who knows what they might do to you. Actually, let's go through the punishments set for the intruders of the universe once, that'll give you an insight." Sohae revolved around Jungkook as she roved her eyes along his bodyline, "Reviewing how you keep on asking me about how did I perform magic, I'm somewhat sure of you not being a magical being. And since you're unaware of magic, that leaves you belonging to only one category— Humans." A smug expression was now reigning all over the witch's sharp features, meanwhile Jungkook's brain remained engaged in decoding all the details that she struck him with.

"What's so special about being a human? Aren't you a human too? Well, the absence of basic technology and comforts for sure had me stumped at first, but the farthest I went with my theories were y'all simply not feeling the need to possess them all. Don't expect me to buy that magical beings shit of yours, please it's too funny." Jungkook gagged the potential chortles that upwelled his throat as he cleared the same in the meantime.

"Special about being a human? Oh sweetie, lend me your ear and I'll tell you," Sohae whispered, motioning Jungkook to conform to her instructions, "humans are an extinct species here."

Every suggestion of boredom in Jungkook's eyes vanished as soon as Sohae's words fell into his ears. His eyes broadened, conducting themselves as a gateway to his soul within which horror was swelling with pride. Staggering backwards involuntarily for a few times, Jungkook had to ultimately halt himself when his back came in contact with a wall. His eyeballs danced in panic as he averted his vision to everywhere but Sohae's face.

"Yo—you're joking, right? I mean, that only makes sense." Jungkook stuttered, his Adam's apple bobbing as he gulped anxiously.

"What do you mean?" Though much to Jungkook's misfortune, Sohae did not grasp what he had implied.

"I— How could you be alive if humans were extinct? Just to be clear, I don't want yet another magical being joke so it'd be better if you could refrain—"

"Well honey, how do you think I'm standing here before you without being afraid of having my identity revealed? It's because I'm not a human," Sohae pressed her lips into a thin line, a hint of contentment visible in her eyes once she glimpsed beads of cold sweat formulating on Jungkook's forehead, "but a witch."

And Jungkook fainted.

〰️

a/n

oof lovely people thanks a lot for 400+ views and 100+ votes this soon, a small account like mine could only wish for so till this book happened😭😭 y'all make my day so much better, i owe y'all big time. i'll also try my best not to disappoint you. thank you for sticking by for this long, let's scale the rest of the journey together too <3