열하나: the callow fellow

"Oh look, who's back to annoy me once again

"Oh look, who's back to annoy me once again." Jungkook rolled his eyes dramatically, fixating his vision at Haesoo only when he could decide on what to continue with for slandering her further, "May I know the reason behind you following me, Zebragirl?"

"What do you think you're doing?" Haesoo muttered under breath, her gaze piercing right through Jungkook's head.

"Reading a book? Duh." Receiving yet another impudent response from Jungkook proved to be Haesoo's trigger— to ultimately shed her patient demeanor and knock him cold. However, being a police officer brought much more responsibilities than just being granted the freedom to hurl punches on whomever one liked.

And that was precisely why she chose to stick with her duty of informing that gullible acquaintance of hers, over the desire of hauling him to her precinct and investigating him as per the directives.

Obviously, him being her ex boyfriend did not count as an edge either for the callow fellow.

"You've been reported, Jungkook." Haesoo leaned in towards the male to whisper, also making sure simultaneously for their conversation to remain secretive by recoiling back to her original position with a pristine ease— not a single, distinct stain of chariness underlying.

"Because I'm reading a book? Why? Do humans not do that anymore?" Jungkook's eyebrows flew up, astonishment vividly reflecting in his eyes. For a handful amount of time, he stayed glued to his spot, gaping at Haesoo with a look so intent that she could not hold herself back anymore.

Pursing her lips into a straight line of disenchantment, Haesoo rocked her head disapprovingly, and instantly lunged to grip onto Jungkook's wrist in such a haste that the latter could not even figure out what all transpired in a blink of an eye— for a considerably long time. She dragged him along with her herself, exiting the library structure itself, as well as its premises, in a celerity that did not sound rational to even her own ears— halting on her tracks only when she could perceive no other soul except for the two of them.

"Why in the hell were you reading that book?" Though asked calmly, there could be discerned an apparent agitation in Haesoo's voice.

"Why can't I read that book?" In spite of replying to the plain as day query, Jungkook instead retorted.

"Because Jungkook, that book dealt with the entire Geomcheon Witch Trials episode. And I don't know why you're being such a blockhead, but that topic in itself is deemed as a taboo to discuss about!" Haesoo exclaimed. Despite her attempts at pushing back the exasperation that was so fervidly trying to make itself evident before Jungkook, Haesoo had to cave in at last— the concerned undertone gave it all away.

"How? I mean, why? Actually, both." Jungkook blurted, somehow ending up dovetailing his desultory inquiries.

"Dammit Jungkook, what even do you know?" Haesoo stomped her foot aggressively, maneuvering Jungkook to lurch a step backwards due to the shocker, "Those trials may have made our lives easier, but there's a massacre as well that accompanied them... and it's always dreadful to talk about that. Our history books gave a very little insight into that incident, but it still gives me goosebumps whenever I recall those lines. Maybe it's just me—"