스물여섯: the double-trouble

A couple of hours had already passed since Sohae left, with Jungkook assumingly clueless about the same as he continued to stare blankly at the wall before him— occasionally meandering his gaze in his doppelganger's direction to stay updated about...

A couple of hours had already passed since Sohae left, with Jungkook assumingly clueless about the same as he continued to stare blankly at the wall before him— occasionally meandering his gaze in his doppelganger's direction to stay updated about his status.

Jungkook would cower at the slightest of recollections about Sohae's words holding even a bit of authenticity. If what she had inferred was true, had he really ended up losing Haesoo for ever? Although the witch had reassured him regarding her striving to her maximum if that was what going to take for Haesoo to resurrect, a part of him found it irrational to even regard it as a viable option.

No one wanted Haesoo to return from the dead as much as Jungkook did, and he hated it how such certainty of his would get shaken up because of his overthinking. But how could he afford to just walk away and trust his other-worldly acquaintances, when not once had he deemed himself to be safe around them either?

Not everything needs to be reconsidered for infinite times— Jungkook was well aware, and yet could not restrain himself from succumbing to his forebodings.

Whilst Jungkook's anxiety tended to grapple him from all the four fronts, the disconcerting fact that Haesoo had not yet been located was only eating him inside out, hence adding insult to the injury. Just as how Sohae had enjoined Jungkook to keep a track of the activities of the double-trouble phenomenon, the latter had relayed the message to Soeun without any further ado. Both the sisters had fallen silent for a hellishly long period of time, triggering the male into having cold feet whenever he would inadvertently think of something adverse.

As if the sign that he had reached his threshold of containing himself efficiently was at last acknowledged, Soeun appeared before him— the blatantly glum expression justifying her  spending a substantial period of time ransacking Haesoo's house only for it turn out as a futile job.

Exhaling listlessly, she seated herself across Jungkook, mildly knocking her head against the wall as she mumbled, "We should've had faith in the spell, you know? It's ridiculous how in spite of almost catching Jungkook— in the form of that girl— we obliviously gave him a chance to hide himself and carry out the rest of his plan sneakily so that we don't get to know about it. I mean, we should've thought it over why did the spell make us land before that girl when it was Jungkook whom we were seeking... we would've figured out a reason or so if we hadn't just surmised it as a flaw in the spell."

Jungkook's gaze bore through Soeun's head, causing the latter to flinch for a split second when she finally took regard of it.

"What? What are you thinking?" Soeun grumbled, somewhat annoyed that whatever she just spoke was not even received by the addressed.

"Why did you save me back there?" Jungkook quizzed, spurring Soeun's brows to crease in bewilderment.

"Back where?" She questioned back, probably to have a clearer picture of what Jungkook had intended to ask her.