Chapter 8 - First Task

It was the morning of the first task of the tournament. Ruby got ready in the uniform she was provided and when the time was right, she drank the vile of the potion.

A million thoughts racing through her mind about the story from Snape, the incident and the tournament. Then, a knock on the door releases her from the thoughts.

"Come in!" Ruby shouts

Luna and Cho enter the room

"We should walk down to the stadium now. Are you ready?" Luna asked

"Yes, let's go." Ruby said as she grabbed her wand and went with the girls to the stadium.

---------------------------------------------------------

Ruby paced back and forth in the tent with the other champions. She sat on the cot, waiting for the event to start. She was anxious to get it over it, she didn't want to deal with this any longer.

A low growl comes from the bag sitting in the floor next to a trunk. The champions all look at each other and soon focused on their own well being again.

Ruby sat away from everyone on a cot. Fleur sits next to her. A gentle hand placed on her shoulder.

"It will be okay, and good luck Ruby. Also be careful. You'll need it." Fleur gives her a reassuring smile and leaves.

Ruby goes to a nervous Harry and sees Hermonie hugging him. A flash appears behind her and she sees someone no other than Rita Skeeter. A reporter for the Daily Prophet. Her gazes moves away from Rita to see anger on Hermonie's face.

"Harry's mysterious love. My my my so cute." Rita smirks

"This tent is for champions and friends." Viktor stated

"You should leave." Ruby advised

Rita turns to Ruby, her smirk widing as she struts her way to her.

"Ruby, Darling. It's nice to see you again. A pureblood witch, who use to go to a prestigious academy is now here at hogwarts amongst her commoners. To hopefully find her stepfather's hidden secrets." Rita mocked

Ruby's blood boiled, she tried her hardest not to lunge at the spiteful woman. Luckily, Dumbledore and the other professors entered the tent. One standing behind each champion. Madame Maxime with Fleur, Amos Diggory with his son, Cedric. Igor Katerina with Viktor, Professor Snape with Ruby and Professor Dumbledore with Harry.

Minister Crouch, picks up the bag and assigns everyone to a dragon.

"Ms. Delacour, you have the Welsh Green Dragon." Fleur's dragon sat in the palm of her hand.

Viktor reached in the bag and the miniature dragon circled. "Mr. Krum, you have the Chinese Fireball." Minister Crouch affirmed

The bag goes to Ruby's direction, her hand reaches in and she recognizes the dragon in a instant. "Ms. Langston, you have the Peruvian Vipertooth."

The Peruvian Vipertooth. One of the most deadliest dragons of all. Ruby is glad she took that potion, this could end much worse.

Cedric received the Swedish Short Snout and Harry got the Hungarian Horntail.

---------------------------------------------------------

One by one the champions went out to face their dragon and recieve their egg for the next clue. It was only Ruby, Cedric and Harry left in the champions tent.

"Now for our next champion, Ruby Langston!" Dumbledore voice boomed through the stadium.

Ruby exited the tent and she sees the golden egg from where she was. A dark shadow casts upon her, she looks up to face the Vipertooth dragon trying to grab her by his talons.

She gets down low in a alcove of the rocks. Gasps run through the crowd as the dragon tries to claw at her. It starts to breathe fire at her but she was able to move the other way to avoid the heat. She didn't know how long the potion would last, nor did she know it it covers her fully.

Ruby found a moment to get out and run to the egg. As she does run, the dragon takes his talons and slash at her; gashing her left calf in the process. Ruby winces as she falls down from the impact. Only a few feet away. She grabs her wand and the dragon lunges for her.

"Protego!" Ruby shouts as the dragon reaches to her. The dragon couldn't touch her or burn her. She waits until the perfect moment to use the right spell on the creature.

"Incendio!" Flames shoot from Ruby's wand, the dragon roars back in pain and moves away to avoid the burns. As it tries to reach her again, Ruby uses another spell. "Impedimenta!"

The dragon's movement slows down, this gave Ruby enough time to hurry and grab the egg before the jinx wears off. She limps to the egg, her fingers grasping for it. Just as dragon regains his movement...

She grabbed the egg.

The crowd cheers for her. She mostly hears Cho, Neville, Hermonie and Ron. Her smiles beams to them as she waves to them. She carefully heads back to the tent, Cedric running to assist Ruby. Lifting her off the ground and carrying her to the cots.

Her eyes met a pair of blue ones. Malfoy. His glare burning on Cedric as he watches his hands touching her. His gaze meets to Ruby as he watches her disappear in the tent.

---------------------------------------------------------

"Ferula." Madame Pomfrey's spell wraps a bandage around Ruby's calf. Her eyes still looking over the egg, studying it.

"Thank you, Madame Pomfrey. It feels a lot better now." Ruby said calmly

"No worries, just rest a bit. You had a long morning." Madame Pomfrey exits and soon her friends go in.

"Ruby! How are you feeling. That wound looks pretty bad." Cho asks as she sat on the other cot. Luna and Neville stand next to Ruby.

"I'm okay. The pain is minor but nothing bad." Ruby calmly says.

"If it helps, I have a plant that can help ease the pain. I can get it for you tomorrow." Neville suggests

"I would love that. Thanks Neville." Ruby says happily.

Then another figure enters the tent. The room goes silent as the group turns around to see a particular Slytherin.

Draco.

"May I speak to Langston. Alone." Draco asks with a hint of demand.

Cho looks to Ruby in question. Ruby nodded to her in answer. The Ravenclaw girl led Luna and Neville out the tent, giving Draco a look of confusion and fear.

"Came to yell at me or try to see if I'm lying again?" Ruby mocked

"Langston, I want to apologize. And I want us to start over. Maybe even get to know each other." Malfoy says calmly

"Is this some sort of joke or what?" Ruby's eyebrow raised in concern.

"Not at all. What do you say?" Draco awaits for her answer.

"Fine. I guess we can" She pulls on a smile and extends her hand out to Draco. "Hello! I'm Ruby. Ruby Langston."

The blonde-haired boy laughs in amusement and his smile appears as he takes her hand and plants a kiss on it.

"And I'm Malfoy. Draco Malfoy."