𝚠𝚎 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚋𝚞𝚝
𝚜𝚙𝚊𝚌𝚎 𝚍𝚞𝚜𝚝
𝚝𝚛𝚢𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚘 𝚏𝚒𝚗𝚍
𝚒𝚝𝚜 𝚠𝚊𝚢 𝚋𝚊𝚌𝚔 𝚝𝚘
𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚛𝚜

-𝚍.𝚓.

Tʜᴇʏ ᴀʀʀɪᴠᴇᴅ ᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴅɢᴇ of a little ski town nestled in the mountains

Tʜᴇʏ ᴀʀʀɪᴠᴇᴅ ᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴅɢᴇ of a little ski town nestled in the mountains. The sign said WELCOME TO CLOUDCROFT, NEW MEXICO. The air was cold and thin. The roofs of the cabins were heaped with snow, and dirty mounds of it were piled up on the sides of the streets. Tall pine trees loomed over the valley, casting pitch-black shadows, though the morning was sunny.

Polaris was still shivering in the cold. She and Percy told Grover about their conversation with Apollo the night before—how he'd told them to seek out Nereus in San Francisco.

Grover looked uneasy. "That's good, I guess. But we've got to get there first."

Polaris tried not to get too pessimistic about their chances. It wasn't just about saving Artemis before the solstice. The General had said Annabeth would only be kept alive until the winter solstice. That was Friday, only four days away. And he'd said something about a sacrifice, which didn't sound good at all.

They stopped in the middle of town. Polaris could pretty much see everything from there: a school, a bunch of tourist stores and cafes, some ski cabins, and a grocery store.

"Great," Thalia said, looking around. "No bus station. No taxis. No car rental. No way out."

"There's a coffee shop!" said Grover.

"Yes," Zoë said. "Coffee is good."

"And pastries," Grover said dreamily. "And wax paper."

Thalia sighed. "Fine. How about you two go get us some food. Percy, Polaris, Bianca, and I will check in the grocery store. Maybe they can give us directions."

They agreed to meet back in front of the grocery store in fifteen minutes. Bianca looked a little uncomfortable coming with the campers, but she did.

Inside the store, they found out a few valuable things about Cloudcroft: there wasn't enough snow for skiing, the grocery store sold rubber rats for a dollar each, and there was no easy way in or out of town unless you had your own car.

"You could call for a taxi from Alamogordo," the clerk said doubtfully. "That's down at the bottom of the mountains, but it would take at least an hour to get here. Cost several hundred dollars."

The clerk looked so lonely, Percy bought a rubber rat. Then they headed back outside and stood on the porch.

"Wonderful," Thalia grumped. "I'm going to walk down the street, see if anybody in the other shops has a suggestion."

"But the clerk said—"

"I know," she told me. "I'm checking anyway."

Polaris could relate to her restlessness. All half-bloods had attention deficit problems because of their inborn battlefield reflexes. They couldn't stand just waiting around.