𝚒𝚗 𝚜𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚕𝚒𝚏𝚎
𝚠𝚎 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚗𝚍𝚒𝚗𝚐
𝚜𝚒𝚍𝚎 𝚋𝚢 𝚜𝚒𝚍𝚎 𝚊𝚗𝚍
𝚕𝚊𝚞𝚐𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝, 𝚒𝚗
𝚜𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚕𝚒𝚏𝚎

𝚠𝚎 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚊𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚝

𝚍.𝚓

Pᴏʟᴀʀɪs ᴊᴜᴍᴘᴇᴅ ᴅᴏᴡɴ the steps and into the hammock room ☾she didn't know the actual name☽

Pᴏʟᴀʀɪs ᴊᴜᴍᴘᴇᴅ ᴅᴏᴡɴ the steps and into the hammock room ☾she didn't know the actual name☽. She noticed Percy on the bed closest to the door, and chose the one furthest away to sleep in.

It wasn't that she didn't trust him, she just didn't sleep well without a wall to cover her blind spot.

Polaris was no stranger to nightmares, and she was not surprised when, as soon as she fell asleep, she found herself in her old home.

She was in what must've been a closet, because it was too small to be a normal room. Her back was pressed into the corner, and there was a body in front of her.

She knew who it was. Yet, as she looked at him, she couldn't recognize him.

It wasn't like he didn't have a face, oh, no, he did, but she didn't recognize him. Her own father.

He muttered a chant, too low for Polaris to comprehend, and it got gradually louder and louder, and the room got smaller and smaller, until Polaris woke with a gasp.

Annabeth stood over her hammock, looking down in worry. Polaris threw herself off the hammock, and into a fighting stance before realizing where she was.

"What-"

Annabeth flushed and stuttered out a response. "You were having a nightmare, and I needed to wake you up anyway. We're approaching the island of the Sirens."

Polaris followed her up onto the deck and looked over the railing, into the mist. The cool sea breeze woke her up, although a cup of coffee would have been even more effective.

Percy was already up, staring at the barely visible island.

"I want you to do me a favor," Annabeth asked them. "The Sirens . . . we'll be in range of their singing soon."

"No problem," Percy assured us. "We can just stop up our ears. There's a big tub of candle wax below deck-"

"I want to hear them."

Both Percy and Polaris blinked in shock. "Why?"

"They say the Sirens sing the truth about what you desire. They tell you things about yourself you didn't even realize. That's what's so enchanting. If you survive . . . you become wiser. I want to hear them. How often will I get that chance?"