CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

The hallways of Beacon Hills Memorial Hospital were full of bustling bodies. Alexander and Isaac stood in the middle of one of them, watching as Venus' body was rolled away on a stretcher. The boy places a hand on his adoptive fathers arm and pulls him back towards the waiting room where Scott was already seated and waiting for his parents.

"What in the hell happened?" Noah Stilinskis voice sounds from down the hall, the man making his way hurriedly towards them.

Malia sat herself down next to Isaac, gently grabbing hold of his hand as he turned to look at the Sheriff. "Hunters happened."

"You need to call Stiles." Alexander turns to the man, speaking for the first time since the shooting. "He needs to know what happened." But Noah didn't looks too convinced. "They're saying she might not make it."

All heads turn to the girls father, fear washing over every bone in their bodies as they thought of the possibility of losing Venus. Scott could hear the doctors working on his mother and he knew she'd be okay, but they had told the girls father straight to his face that it was critical.

Noah lets out a heavy sigh, shaking away the tears threatening to fill his eyes as he moves back down the hallway to call his son.

"She can't die." Isaac states breathlessly, his voice wavering with emotion. "She's Venus, she can't."

•••

     Her body was failing. That's what the doctors had said, her organs weren't working the way they were supposed to and it was because of the amount of blood she had lost. But her family knew otherwise. They knew this was the work of the Anuk-Ite weakening her, her body no longer able to heal like it should. The girl subsequently not waking.

It had been a day and no one had left the hospital, save for a few hours. Scotts mom was still badly injured and Venus still hadn't woken up after surgery. Lydia was the only one out of the injured that seemed to be okay.

Alex and Isaac were stood outside Venus' hospital room, speaking to her doctors and trying to figure out how they could help her. The conversation was interrupted by a set of frantic, heavy footsteps making their way towards them.

"Where is she?" Stiles asks, his worry for his girlfriend overcoming his anger for the moment.

Isaac shares a look with Alex before tilting his head at the boy, a motion for him to follow as he pulled open the rooms door. Stiles stood frozen by the door, his eyes watering at the sight of her. She was connected to so many tubes and machines that he wasn't sure where one ended and the other started.

Her brother gives him a sad look before retreating from the room and shutting the door behind him. Stiles takes a few cautious steps towards her, feeling like if he moved too fast he would disturb her. He sits down on the chair placed next to her bed, his hand reaching out for her own.

A couple tears slip past his eyelids as his thumbs ran across the soft skin of her hands. The room was silent except for the soft hiss of the breathing tube placed in her mouth and the occasional sniffle from the boy sat next to her.

"You said you were at Stanford." he whimpers. "You weren't texting me back and I thought you were just busy. And now that I think of it, it was so obvious. You were always so jittery when I called, I should've seen it that night with Scott."

He shakes his head, the lump in his throat growing greatly as he watched her. Part of him kept expecting her eyes to just open and look at him, another part of him was expecting to wake up from this wicked dream. No part of him wanted to believe this was real.