Chapter One.

" Thank you" I fake smiled politely and glanced at Nurain who also had a fake smile plastered on his face, he also seemed annoyed at the lady who just called us a cute couple. Ugh!

  Nurain and I met in school when I first started university. He was in his level four and I was a fresher. We gradually became best friends because we felt this unexplainable connection. Story for another day.

"Imagine this lady thinking of us that way " I snickered while he rolled his eyes.

"Oh please, you would be lucky to have me," he spoke while we walked out of the hall.

  We were currently at my sister Adda sabeeha's wedding dinner and we decided to hang outside because I was tired of the crowd, So we came out together.

   I came from a small family of six, I was the third child.

Adda sabeeha was 24, was a graduate of Law, about to go to Law school. Adda sabeeha was getting married to Ya Hussain, who was an architect.

  Next is sabeer the most annoying big brother ever he was 22 and and in his final year in Bayero university kano, he was studying civil engineering.

  Then comes me Maryam(Du'a) Abubakar Nuhu, I was 19 years old currently in my second year at ABU Zaria studying political science.

  Then my annoying baby sister samha who was in SS3 and was 17 years old.

  Back to the story..

  " I know right, you're wayy below my standard" I said sarcastically, Nurain just smiled and shook his head, we just couldn't look at each other that way, what way? Oh the "L"way. We found a spot at a far distance from the hall and sat down. I could still hear faint music coming from the hall.

  " So how's Sameera" I teased with a grin. Sameera was a lady Nurain had told me he kinda liked but he couldn't tell her. But I know he just didn't have strong feelings for her

"Clueless",

  "Still haven't told her yet?" I gazed at Nurain, he was wearing a dark blue kaftan without a cap cus he didn't like caps, he still looked dashing though. But no thank you.

  "Well you know me I can't just walk up to a girl and speak to her, it's beneath me" said Nurain, you see, I rolled my eyes he's so full of himself.

" Oh me what am I, a dude?" I asked sarcastically.

   " Well, maybe" he smirked I gasped at his comment "Usmanu Nurain how dare you" I turned and faced the other side with a pout. How dare he.

  " Hey Addu'a ta I'm sorry okay" he wasn't sorry.

  "Don't call me that, it's Du'a okay, my name is DU'A!" I replied in an annoyed way. He kept teasing me and we somehow continued our bickering. Before we knew it it was midnight, we went back inside the hall. And Nurain bid Mama goodbye and congratulated Adda Sabeeha.

   " Du'a gashi ki ba wa Nurain" Mama instructed handing a bag of souvenir for Nurain " Toh Mama" i ambulated outside to meet Nurain in front of his gray Camry.

  "Gashi inji Mama" I tried to peek into the the bag.

" hey don't Snoop" Nurain said collecting the bag from me, more like snatching but whatever🙄.

"well I'm curious, I know Mama must have filled it with alot of things" Mama really likes Nurain, my family in general, they respect him alot. I like that, but, I don't want them getting any Ideas about us.

    As if to complement my words sabeer walked up to us with this stupid expression that I hated on his face "hi Nurain, Du'a what are you guys doing here, Salamalaikum" he offered Nurain a handshake giving me this annoying"knowing look" while smirking, idiot.

   " Oh I was just seeing my FRIEND Nurain off" I said stressing the friend. Sabeer snickered clearly feeling good that he has succeeded in annoying me, it was his job after all. Nurain just looked amused at our little drama.

  "Well" said Sabeer " I'll head inside now, I left my new.." he saw the look we were giving him and quickly added " I'll be inside, bye Nurain" they fist bumped.

   "Aren't you gonna show me the what's in the little gift bag?" I gave him my best puppy dog eyes.

    " Ke kin cika gulma fah" he shoved the bag in his backseat.

  " and you claim to be a good guy"

  " Well you know I'm a modest guy" he flattered himself, I rolled my eyes (it's a habit😂).

  " Well please take your rusted Can and get outta here" I snickered referring to his shiny Camry, that's what I call it.

  " Oh really" he asked entering the car " then ina naki Can din".

  " You're gonna buy it for me" I replied and we bickered as usual before he finally left.

  I went back inside the hall and "Gone far" by Zinoleesky was on, I felt like dancing on the spot because it was my current favorite song, the dance floor was packed but then this is Adda Sabeeha's wedding we're talking about.

  And for the first time in my life I entered the crowd and danced at a wedding.

  "Oh my gosh Du'a is dancing everyone" Fayha shouted and all my cousins turned to look, some hyped me while some took video, but I didn't care I knew I was going to regret not dancing at my only elder sister's wedding if I didn't. We danced our asses off and had so much fun.

  We finally called it a night by 12:30am and we were so damn exhausted.

  I made a mental note to call Nurain later, but I fell asleep immediately my head landed on my pillow.