Sometimes, things just have to change.

I sat alone in my bedroom, curled up into a tight little ball. I felt a single tear slip down my face, but instead of catching it with a tissue, I let it go. I had always known that I was different, but my whole life I had kept it hidden, trying to stop others from noticing. I had abilities, ones that nobody else I had ever met shared with me. When I got angry, or bored, or excited, things suddenly went up in flames. Sometimes little things, sometimes big things. My mother and father knew it was my doing, but others saw it as a coincidence, that the incident simply took place randomly and I had just happened to be there at the time. As well as this, I hear things. I hear the thoughts of people around me, more so when I get nervous. When I really want to, I can tune into peoples minds, almost like a radio, and hear everything that they're thinking. My father finally decided that he can't cope anymore and claims that too many people have 'suspicions', but all I want is to live my life peacefully, as I always have.

"He's sending me away aunt liz", I sobbed quietly down the phone. My aunt liz had always been my safe space. She understood me in a way that my parents didn't. She didn't judge me. "It's alright my love, remember, deep breaths. Maybe it'll be good for you, having some time away from them." She replied, clearly trying to cheer me up. "Can't I just stay with you instead, please Lizzie, please?" I cried, but Aunt Liz knew what was best, she always did, and she simply said, "Sometimes, things just have to change. Everything is going to be ok." I felt better after talking to her, she made me feel like someone cared for me. After a while, I decided that sitting there feeling sorry for myself wasn't going to be of much help, and started helplessly dragging my suitcase from underneath the bed. I tossed it onto my mattress and flung it open. The first thing I packed was a small cushion from my bed that aunt liz bought me for my birthday a few years ago, I always took it everywhere. I folded all of my favourite clothes and pyjamas then tucked in a few pairs of shoes and my makeup. I decided that I didn't need all of my little tidbits. It was junk and if I was leaving here, I wanted a fresh start. After shoving almost everything into my bag, I picked up a picture that sat prettily on my bedside table. It was me and my parents. I put it on top of everything else, as carefully as I could, and zipped up the bag with a sigh.

Finally, I went down stairs, knowing that my time here was now ticking away. I left tonight. My mother had made my favourite meal for dinner, her special vegetarian lasagne. I sat down, not bothering to speak to anybody, and ate it quietly. With each mouthful, I felt my eyes fill with tears at the thought of leaving my home. My father noticed and broke the silence with a simple, "I'm sorry.." but I was too upset to notice. When everyone had finished, we cleared the table as a family, just like we did every single night since I was a child. My father put my bag in the back of the car and we all got in, but instead of making conversation, I put in my headphones and turned the volume up as high as I could. After a couple of hours, we arrived. I had fallen asleep by then, but my mother shook me gently and I got out of the car. It was late and the sky was a deep shade of blue, covered with glowing stars, my favourite.

My mother passed me my bag, and I hugged her tightly. "I love you, don't you forget that." She spoke. I gave her a reassuring smile before turning to my father and muttering "I hope I don't have to see you again anytime soon." I walked up to the door with my bag in hand, and it opened slowly. I looked up from the ground to see a seemingly kind woman, with soft blonde hair that sat just below her shoulders and two beautiful brown eyes. She smiled at me and took my hand in hers, leading me into the building, the door closing behind me with a thud.