Chap 16 Waiting

"I told you I need to be somewhere today."

"But you've been saying that for the past three days."

"Then I need to be somewhere everyday."

"Can't we train there?"

Kana halted, looking behind her with furrowed brows. "What?"

"Can't we train there?" Itachi repeated. "I'm assuming you have been going to the Naka river since I saw you there yesterday. Can't we train there?"

"Well, um..." She paused, weighing her choices carefully. To have this smartass or to not have this smartass come with her? "Actually... Maybe..?"

It's not really that much of a bad idea.

'Nevermind. This is totally a bad idea.'

It just occured to her that Itachi and Shisui first met when the former was skipping classes at the Academy. At least that was she remembers reading. Somewhere when he's between five to six years old. The kid is still four. No way, it's too early. There's still a year left. They're too early.

"Kana-san?"

'Nothing important will change much, right? They will just be meeting earlier. Maybe Itachi can learn earlier too. Isn't that good?'

"Hello Kana-san?"

'Yeah it'll be good for them. They'll bond more and will get to know each other sooner. Yup, definitely. But it won't affect any other things, right? Rightt??'

"Kana-san!"

"Yes I'll break your pretty face!" She yelped upon getting spooked suddenly. Itachi stared at her with a weird look in his eyes and she only realized what she said. She cough, "I mean, what's wrong, Itachi-chan?"

"It's your turn, Kana-san," He said simply.

"Oh, thanks."

She felt his eyes on her as she made a move on his Rook. Then she look at him with an eyebrow raised. "What is it?" She asked.

"You've been out of it ever since we came here," he responded, ducking his head. "Maybe I shouldn't have come after all."

"No Itachi-chan. I'm..." She hesitated, before sighing in defeat. "Don't worry about it, Itachi-chan. I'm just thinking about the Academy."

That was partially a lie. She's been thinking about the Academy too ever since Shikaku told her she'll be starting in a few days. There's a little bit of nervousness, typical for someone starting their year in school. Other than that, she's more worried about her schedule. There will be lesser time to train and to just laze around. And what if the lessons there are things her senseis had already taught her?

Itachi seems to perk up at that, making her pull back a smile on actually seeing this side of the boy. He's just too cute...

"Kana-san will be going in three days right?" Itachi moved his gold general. "I bet Kana-san won't make any friends there because she's too weird."

She gasped dramatically. "'Tachi-chaaan..." She sobbed, placing a hand on her chest. "Why are you like that to meee..."

"...It's a compliment..?"

"..You're not so sure yourself either, you brat."

He laugh quietly, and Kana actually stopped breathing when she heard the sound.

His smile looks teasing. "But I bet Kana-san can finish Academy in a year."

Kana took a sharp intake of breath, before abruptly spinning around so she can't see more of his expressions. "You can't manipulate me, tiny man. There's no way I can graduate in just a year."