Chapter 11-AND THE SKY TURNED DARK

"A spark is a little thing, yet it may kindle the world." – Martin Farquhar Tupper.

"All citizens of good-standing within this nation heed my words and be not afraid, and to all those with a power which you use for nefarious affairs, tremble. I am the Dark Phoenix; I am he who has been watching from the shadows for all this time, looking in disappointment at the rotting apple that is Japan. When the abuses of power became too much to bear, I rose from the ashes, and with burning light, I plan to incinerate this world off its impurities. I will ravage, but fear not, for my wrath only has one target, those with power who look down upon the weak and laugh as the poor person is trying to make its way in this world in a simple matter. Heroes, politicians, yakuza, and everyone else in the criminal world, when night falls, so too shall your judgment with the force of a thousand inhalations. To those monsters at the Company of Ecstasy, I already delivered them punishment, and to all those, with ties to their wicked actions, you ought to be exposed, may the rule of the mob have mercy on you. I know not everyone will be in accord with my actions; it is only good and evil for those with a narrow mind, but there is also noble dark. When you are willing to set aside everything to protect all of that which you value that you become this, you become me. And so, anyone who was has faced the same choice I had to make will understand and may rest assured that when I fight, I'm a good knight. The fight I joined is like a choreographed dance of destruction that has torn us apart for too long. It is time to introduce some new moves and shake the stage. In this society of heroes, stagnation reigns supreme, but I will not settle to die in it, and no matter the laws that may tell me to stop, I shall not bend, for the system is inefficient. I urge you to open your eyes and be bound by chains and blindness, nevermore!"

This speech made by Dark Phoenix was broadcasted around the nation for the past month; it was first published a day after the Company of Ecstasy's fall. Along with Dark Phoenix's speech, a list was published around the internet exposing several politicians and heroes for their ties with the company, describing in great detail how they were involved. The Japanese were typically apolitical, but with Phoenix's speech and the blacklist being published, the entire country was in uproar. Riots consumed the major cities by the first week, and by the second, the government had been pretty much paralyzed as crucial members of the government were forced to resign, including the prime minister himself. In addition, several lynchings occurred in the streets as up to 100 politicians and even several heroes were murdered by the people's rage. Several members of the international community also condemned the Japanese government.

Facing a crisis due to the breakdown of civil order and the fall of the previous government, the remaining members of the National Diet declared a state of emergency. Despite being against the constitution, the parliament offered the emperor temporal executive powers to keep the government running until the crisis could be subdued, and new national elections could be called. The government heeded the cries of the people and began a nationwide anti-criminal campaign. Most of the remaining assets of the Company of Ecstasy were taken, and significant criminal organizations were dismantled, proving that the government did had the capabilities to destroy many of them but simply didn't want to.

As the riots began to disperse and the government started to focus on the criminal cartels that fled towards the isolated, rural areas, the population centres were mainly left unattended. And that is where we find ourselves today. A car rushed pashed the T.V. Shop in which the broadcast of Dark Phoenix was being placed. Three men rode a convertible at full speed; next to the driver was one of them, while the other was in the bag seat, making sure the money didn't fly off the bag. They were laughing as they made their way unposed, almost running over several civilians. As they made their way towards an intersection, they saw a figure dressed in an all-black ninja-looking attire stood in their way, green eyes staring at them intensely.