Chapter 16-EYE OF THE STORM

"The struggle you are in today is developing the strength you need for tomorrow." -Anonymous.

Amid the chorus of greens that sing notes of brightest greens, a pebbled mountain path led to a rustic house adorning the top of the hill. Inside, dressed in traditional Japanese martial arts clothes, Izumi sat on the floor, Dan Ban sitting across her. "Tell me," The wise man spoke up. "What is the most important thing in a fight?" The sensei asked. Izumi wondered for a few seconds, and then she answered. "Your moves?" She asked, although without confidence. "Wrong!" Dan quickly shouted. "The most important thing in a fight is your motivation," The old man said while standing up. "A fight without a clear purpose is just a brawl; it's useless. When you fight, you must know why you are doing it, why you are willing to put yourself in such a position that you risk not only your life but that of those around you too,"

The older man then sat back down. "So, tell me, what is your motive?" Izumi quickly spoke up. "I want to gain enough power to be able to do some good in this world," She stated. "This society is in drastic need of reform... All the corruption, all the villainy must not be allowed to continue," Dan nodded. "And tell me, do you have some plan to achieve this?" The old sensei asked. "Yes," She replied pretty confidently. "Very well," He replied. "Just like you have a plan for the broader picture, you must also have a plan for every single battle you engage yourself in, and just like you must have a motive to join the wider fight, you must also have one for the smaller ones," He said. "The difference between you and Phoenix is that Phoenix seems to have a plan, as every single battle he fights leads to his greater purpose. Every battle you fight must further your plans in one way or another; remember this," Izumi nodded.

"Very well," Dan said while standing up. "Now that we have this out of the way let's start with some action, stand up," Izumi did as told. "This will be our rematch from last time, and I want you to give it everything you have, understood?" Izumi nodded once again. "Very well, at the count of three... one... two... three...." Izumi proceeded to be thoroughly pummeled.

This was the order of the day for the next two weeks in which Izumi would be brutally defeated time and time again. "You can't rely purely on the brute force!" Dan said effortlessly, dodging the attacks from All Might's successor. "Your attacks pattern, predictable, your chances of victory, none," As he said that, Dan moved through the barrage of punches thrown by Izumi. He then appeared behind the girl and chopped her on the neck, defeating her with just one attack. "You must know when you are safe to play with your strength, but that will not always be the case," Dan stated while looking at Izumi, who was still on the ground. "Stand up," Izumi did so as quickly as possible. "I will teach you how to fight for real...."

Two barrages of flame collided; Endeavour stood to the side as he saw his most priced possessions fight against each other. Shouko stopped her attack and moved to her side; on instinct, Shoto used his ice quirk to attack his sister. Shouko smiled; he got him, she unleashed her barrage of flames on her brother. Shoto jumped out of the way, but as he did, his balance was lost, and so, Shouko took the opportunity.

Sprinting towards Shoto, Shouko swiftly grabbed her brother on a neck hold, bringing him down to the ground with her. Despite his greater strength, Shoto was unable to break free; the chokehold had been perfectly done. Shouko fought with all her strength, slowly but surely, letting her resentment take over, which soon transformed into anger. Shoto was losing his strength, his face becoming pale and blue. A sudden realisation of what she was doing crossed her mind, and she soon released her brother, who immediately started gasping for air on the floor. "Shouko wins!" Endeavour declared with joy.

Shouko ignored Endeavour and approached her brother. "You alright?" Shouko asked as she extended her hand. Shoto looked at his sister for a second, but he quickly smacked the hand away and turned around, standing on his own. "I don't need your piety," Shoto declared, annoyed, much to Shouko's sadness. "Good, good!" Endeavour said, approaching his children. "Now you are officially ready to start your journey to beat All Might, get ready, as tomorrow you will apply to UA," The mad hero stated. "I can only recommend one of you, and given how Shoto has been the one winning the most battles, I will recommend him. You, on the other hand, Shouko, will have to apply through normal means. So do not fail me...." He said with venom in his voice.