Chapter 19-RETURN TO DARKNESS

"It always seems impossible until it's done." – Nelson Mandela.

After what felt like an eternity of waiting and preparation, the Phoenix Squadron, hunters of the night, finally returned to the place of their first defeat. A cold night had settled in, and a lucid moon observed while heaven's eyes shine in the black as a divine watchful mother. They approached the cultist base with the utmost caution, one mistake, and the plan they had so carefully orchestrated would go to waste. The four members of the attack force settled behind some bushes, just outside, the Techpriest's mechanical eyes range. "So, what is that distraction you mentioned?" Vlad asked while carefully sitting against a tree. He was still injured; any sudden movement might open his still-healing wound. "They will be here in just a second...." Phoenix replied while looking over their cover of greens.

Not far away, where the clouds sat upon the Earth as if they decided the heavens were down there, the steps on grass were all that which resonated. Grey shadows roamed across the site coming from different sides, along with a stench aura of bloodthirst. Then, finally, the two sides met where the veil lifted, allowing for a path to be formed. The leaders stepped forth, shaking hands. The first was dressed in a ragged suit, and on his head, a top hat sat.

Meanwhile, the other man was a great contrast, dressed in the finest of suits. Their henchmen stood behind them; an entire battalion had amassed. "I'm guessing you received the same intel as us," the man dressed in luxury stated. "We very much did," The man with the top hat replied. "Very well," The first man to speak said. "With our forces united, we shall chop off the Phoenix's head and destroy the ones who betrayed us...."

Back with Phoenix Squadron, they sat still, biding their time, waiting for the trap card to activate. And as if the universe so wanted it, that's when it happened. Several men in suits, some with top hats, others with not, charged towards the base of the technology cultists. The tech-priests, not ones to let such barbarians desecrate their shrine, opened fire with their blasters, the finest humanity had been able to produce before the turmoil. The attacking forces were mowed down like a bullet passing through a sheet of paper. Still, they were not expecting an attack force this big; they were expecting the Phoenix. With a combination of their most advanced guns and their quirks, the blasphemous invaders managed to drive the keepers of knowledge back.

Within the shrine of reason, the alarm had been sound. In the control chamber, the female tech-priest that fought the Phoenix in the airship and during the first disastrous invasion stood, watching the cameras that reported the actions on the front. Gijutsa Senshi was her name, and she was the inquisitor of the Cult Technicus, and she will not let those despicable monkeys set a single foot in this holiest of lands. Then, holding her ceramo-metal halberd tight, she walked out of the room and towards the battlefield.

Not so far away, the members of the Phoenix Squadron observed in awe at the battlefield, except for Izuku. Vlad turned to look at Phoenix with a smirk, "Killing three birds with one stone, I see," The mad doctor tried to laugh, but he immediately had to hold on to his abdomen wound as the pain coursed through his body. "What do you mean?" Monika asked. "Pay more attention to their outfits," Phoenix remarked. Thus Monika and Jitsuna squinted their eyes, slowly observing the invading host. "The Company of Ecstasy?!" Monika exclaimed, a few dark memories passing through her mind, making her startled, although she could regain control of her emotions quite quickly. She wasn't weak now; if she encountered them during the eve of battle, she would give them what they deserved. "Hold on, is that the Toppat Clan too?" Jitsuna asked as he turned to Izuku.

The Phoenix smirked behind his mask. "I may or may not have supplied the remnants of both factions information that the Cult Technicus had betrayed them and that they were the ones who provided the Phoenix with his technologies," He said nonchalantly. "But how?" Jitsuna asked incredulously. "Remember Giran?" Izuku asked. "He owed me a favour after a small incident he got me into when I first started this whole thing," Vlad chuckled from behind. "Always full of surprises, are you?" Izuku just shrugged. "Get ready," The leader exclaimed. "Soon, it will be our time to act,"