Chapter 26-INTO THE DARK

"The first step towards getting somewhere is deciding you are not going to stay where you are." – J.P. Morgan.

The cloudy morning brought the blacktop street to dappled hues of soulful blues, fitting for the desolated Musutafu. Most people were covered inside their houses, either resting and waiting for the start of their daily routines or watching the emergency transmission of the National Diet. Izumi walked down the lonely roads, strolling towards her empty home. She passed an alley with graffiti that read "Kill All Quirkless!" Izumi curled up her fist. She then analysed the wall until she read another, more minor graffiti in one of the corners, which read "Down with the Quirked!" At this sight, All Izumi could do was sigh.

Once at her house, she quickly changed into her new U.A. uniform and headed to school. The blonde girl then proceeded to run towards her first destination, where she found her one and only true friend, Shouko. After greeting each other and making a small chat, Izumi asked a question. "Where is Shoto? I would have imagined he would be here too." Shouko sighed at the question. "He said he didn't have any time to waste waiting for me, and so he left early." Izumi shook her head in disappointment. "What a dick, you are his sister, and even if you both have great powers, the streets aren't what they used to be." She said as she reminisced about her early childhood, in which her only worries were when she was going to meet up with her friends to play.

Shouko sighed once again. "Indeed... This whole Quirked v.s. Quirkless is stupid. A quirk doesn't make you superior; everything depends on the strength of your character. You can have the most powerful quirk and be a massive douche." She said to which Izumi chuckled. "Or an idiot." The blonde girl added. "The Quirked's job should be to defend the quirkless, not kill them and discriminate and segregate them," Izumi and Shouko continued to walk under the still darkened sky. "Since we have powers, we should take care of the heavy-lifting, while the quirkless could still help run things behind the scenes. A symbiotic relationship, one could say." Shouko pondered Izumi's words for a second. "That could be, but isn't dividing people based on their characteristics, even if well-intentioned, also a form of discrimination?" To this, Izumi was taken aback. She tried to reply to her friend, but she could not utter from her mouth. As the silence settled for a few seconds, that is when they had finally seen it, U.A.

A few moments earlier, Shoto had stood before the very same door, and even earlier than him, Bakugo had too. At the sight of the marvellous school, the two boys had a straightforward thought. "I will become the best!" Shoto walked down the halls of the prestigious institution with little care of admiring the architecture behind it; he was only centred in reaching his classroom. Once at his destination, he opened the door, and only one person was sitting in the room, Katsuki Bakugo. A shiver went down Shoto's spine as he saw his school bully sitting there nonchalantly, not even paying him attention, with his feet up on the desk. Every time he saw the blonde menace, he could only see his father, that detestable man. They were both too alike for Shoto's liking, and much like his father, Bakugo had also decided to make Shoto's school life a nightmare.

Bakugo had set his eyes on Shoto since they were young, preferring to bully the person he considered an actual threat to his position rather than the quirkless Izuku Midoriya. Thought as the only one who could ever contest with him, other than Izumi, and being within a power range close to him, Bakugo let out his rage against the already abused boy, who flinched at the slightest hint of abuse. However, the shadow of his father looming behind Bakugo was ever-present, preventing him from slashing back at his tormentor. Unable to seek help, he was terrified of what his father would do should he find out he couldn't fight back; Shoto let the abuse happen. He turned his frustration upon the quirkless Midoriya whenever he had the chance, the only one Shoto was sure he could bully into submission. Now, Shoto met with his tormentor again, so he breathed deeply and walked towards the back of the room.