Chapter 7

Sitting on the plush leather seat of the crowded restaurant and bar in downtown Seattle, I explain to Kiera and Michelle about my visit with Braden yesterday morning.

"Guys, it was honestly great. I felt so many butterflies it was crazy."

Kiera does a little squeal while Michelle, leaning back on her chair, gives me a smirk and a nod.

"I remember that feeling when I first met Kiera. You just know at that moment that you have met someone special."

Michelle leans forward, looks deeply into Kiera's eyes and gives her hand a firm squeeze. The two have been dating since the end of Kiera and I's college graduation. Kiera and I had gone out to a bar after graduation, ran into each other in the bathroom, and chatted all night long, leaving me awkwardly in the corner of the bar sipping martinis and escaping smolders from obviously taken men. I didn't mind though. Kiera deserves to be with someone as caring as Michelle. It also helps that Michelle is four years older than us. She keeps Kiera grounded while Kiera keeps her spontaneous. They have the kind of love that is unconditional.

"Ugh stop encouraging my overthinking! I have literally been replaying our conversation in my head over and over since yesterday."

I throw both my hands to my temples and try to rub the thoughts about Braden out of my mind. I've met him once, why am I going psycho!

"You got it bad huh."

Kiera observes and giggles. Michelle leans over, plants a small kiss on Kiera's neck, and closes her eyes while staying in her embrace. Kiera turns toward her and runs her hand through her box braids, moving them to the other side of Michelle's neck. I take that as my cue to give them a few minutes of privacy. They would never make out in front of me or make me feel un-included on purpose, but I know at this moment they really want some alone time.

"I am going to get another drink from the bar. Anyone want anything else?"

Both Michelle and Kiera turn to look at me and shake their heads no. Michelle gives me a grateful smirk and pulls Kiera closer. I stand up, brush the wrinkles out of my one shoulder, body con dress and walk over to the bar in the corner of the room. I plop down on another black leather bar stool and look over the extensive array of alcohol bottles that grace the wall in front of me.

"I'll have a long island iced tea please. Open tab."

The bartender nods at me, types a few things into an iPad, and starts to make my drink.

"Luce?"

A familiar voice calls my name and my spine immediately tenses up. The last time I heard that voice was a year ago over the phone, begging me to forgive him. Slowly, I turn towards him.

Standing right next to me, in all his glory, is Kyle Shaw, frat boy, douce, and my ex-boyfriend. He is dressed in a light blue button up tucked into khakis. His stupid, long, bleach blonde surfer looking hair is hanging loosely down the side of his head. The thing that infuriates me most though is the biggest, happiest smile spread right across his face.

"Is that really you Luce? Wow, it's nice to see you!"

Kyle props down in the empty barstool next to me and lays his elbow on the bar. Just as he sits down, my long island is set in front of me. I reach for the drink and Glug. Glug. Glug. I chug the whole entire long island in seconds. Between every glug I can see Kyle's smile drop more and more out of the corner of my eye. I aggressively set my drink back down on the bar and sigh.

"So I am guessing you aren't excited to see me?"

I turn my face toward him sharply and give him the dirtiest look I can muster.