Chapter 13

"Kyle.... What are you doing here?"

I ask, noticing the way that Braden's arm tightens around me as we approach him.

"What the FUCK Lucy! We make plans to go out and then you ditch me for a random guy!"

Kyle exclaims angrily, while stepping forward towards me. Braden responds quickly by pulling my body slightly behind his and pushing me against him. Rolling my eyes at his protectiveness, I step out from behind him and cross my arms at Kyle.

"Kyle. I was not the one who ditched, you were! I sent you multiple texts during the day and you did not respond."

He sighs and rubs his eyebrows aggressively.

"Lucy, MY PHONE DIED! When I got off work, my phone was dead. I drove here hoping to catch you before you left, but when I arrived, I saw you pulling out of the parking lot with another guy! HOW THE FUCK DO YOU THINK THAT MAKES ME FEEL HUH?

Kyle starts to yell and I step backwards into Braden's awaiting arms.

"Hey! Don't talk to her like that. You were the one that ghosted her. She did nothing wrong. It was a misunderstanding!"

Braden wraps a comforting arm around me, and steps forward toward Kyle to defend me.

"Shut the fuck up man. You knew we were going out and you sabotaged it! You're such an asshole."

Kyle shouts and clenches his fist. Both Braden and Kyle inch closer to each other, having a stare down. It's amusing to see both of them in a stance like this, especially when Braden is five inches taller than Kyle and has double the amount of toned muscles. The energy gets so intense that I have to step in between them.

"Look Kyle, I'm sorry that this happened. It was a misunderstanding, and it is no one's fault. There is no reason to get mad at Braden, he made me feel better and made my night great. As my friend, you should be happy about that."

Kyle rolls his eyes and crosses his arms, backing up a little.

"Kyle, I am going to bed. I understand your frustration with the situation, but there is no reason to yell and act like a child. I deal with enough temper tantrums at work and I don't need to deal with another one at home. Maybe we will reschedule, I'll have to think about it."

I turn to face Braden, who is still worked up about the situation, but has calmed down a little. Wrapping my arms around his neck, I lean in and press a warm kiss to his cheek. Braden grunts, and redirects our position so he can kiss me deeply and lovingly on the lips. After a few seconds of increasingly passionate kisses, I remember Kyle is there. I pull away from Braden and wish him a good night with another quick cheek kiss. I turn around heading for the door, noticing how Kyle is leaning against the wall with his arms crossed, shooting deadly daggers at Braden. I send a quick head nod to Kyle and enter my apartment, locking the door behind me.

POV Braden

As soon as my Lucy gets inside her apartment, I turn to face Kyle who has been aggressively staring at me ever since Lucy kissed me goodnight.

"Why the hell are you so angry?"

I ask nonchalantly. If I remember correctly, this is the guy that cheated on Lucy and broke her heart. He deserves every feeling of hurt he is getting right now.

"In case you don't know, Lucy and I have been together since high school. After a year apart, it is time we get back together. I don't understand why she is spending her time on you of all people."

Kyle says while uncrossing his arms and inching closer to me.

"In case you don't remember, asshole, you cheated on her. It's your fault that the relationship ended, and by the way you acted tonight, she's glad it did. You are aggressive and flaky. Grow up."