Chapter 19

I wake up to a light caress of my hair and the warm feeling of blankets covering me. Even though my head feels like it weighs a thousand pounds and my body is sore, I open my eyes to the glowing light. I make eye contact with Braden's worried eyes from where he is laying next to me on my bed. He continues to gently brush through my hair with his fingers, and occasionally run his thumb along my cheek.

"How are you feeling?"

Braden murmurs nervously. I can tell he is worried about me from the number of medical supplies stacked up on my nightstand and the tension in his shoulders. Reaching up, I wrap my arm around his shoulders and bring him into a loving hug.

"I'm feeling okay. Still a little confused but I'm glad to be home with you."

Braden nods into my shoulder.

"What time is it? Did I miss work?"

Braden shakes his head.

"No, I called your work letting them know that you will be out for a few days resting up. Hope that was okay."

I nod and reassure him.

"That's fine, thank you for doing that."

"Where does it hurt? I have some bruise cream I need to put on you."

I uncurl myself from his embrace and slowly sit up on the bed against the propped-up pillows.

"Ummm, mostly my stomach area. My head hurts a little too but I think if I drink a lot of water I will be fine."

While reaching over to the nightstand to grab some cream, Braden sighs and shakes his head.

"This is all my fault. I should have been more careful, I should have known they would go after you."

"Hey. Stop."

I firmly place my hand on his strong bicep and he tenses.

"It's not your fault. It's Kyle and Sugar's fault I got wrapped up in this. We will figure this out. We are in this together now."

Frustrated, Braden sits on the bed with his legs hanging off and turns to me.

"No. I don't want you in this mess. It's mine and your brother's shit to figure out. I want you to rest and heal up."

I roll my eyes and try to reach for the bruise cream in his hands but he pulls it away from me.

"I'm serious Lucy. I don't want you to be involved in this."

"Braden, it's my brother and my boyfriend that is not only butting heads but also trying to save all of Seattle. I'm going to help and there is nothing you can do about that."

Now Braden rolls his eyes and screws open the bottle of cream.

"Let's talk about this later baby. Will you promise me that at least you will focus on feeling better?"

I sigh. This conversation is not over but I'm not in the mood to bicker.

"Fine. Are you going to put that cream on me or just stare at me all worried?"

Braden giggles and presses a kiss on my cheek. Slowly he reaches down and pulls my shirt off my body leaving me in just my bra. Braden continues to place sensual kisses down my neck, over my perky breasts and landing over the bruise that is sitting on my stomach. My breath catches when Braden reaches up with his hands and pulls my thighs apart so he can rest in between them. A low moan slips out of my mouth when he gently rubs the warm cream on top of the purple area on my stomach. Braden places another kiss behind my ear and I feel him smile against my skin.