Chapter 14: Dancing Around the Reveal

Sophie was terrified. The ballroom was crowded with countless people wearing multifaceted royal gowns, lehengas, kurtas and dress robes, making her feel glad that her dress wasn't as grand as theirs. There was no point in standing out more than she already did with her other world culture. 

But one thing was confirmed that night. Sophie would follow whatever tradition that there was instead of following just one. She wasn't going to give into not knowing about her past to decide her future. She would not believe in religions because for her, God was One.

The guests had formed groups where they talked to each other. Laughter and voices filled the room that she once knew to be one of the most silent places in the castle. The three chandeliers in the room were lit with candles. The floor was polished nicely, just enough so that we do not slip.

"This is barbaric." Trumpkin turned around to leave when Sophie stopped him, using her doe-eye trick at him. 

"Please don't leave me alone here."

Trumpkin looked at the innocence on her face and sighed. "Fine."

The two of them kept each other company until Caspian entered the room, accompanied by two guards on either side. Sophie saw him for in his gold-leafed crown that seemed to fit perfectly on top of his head. The navy blue colour of his robes, that was almost black, with golden leaves embraided on it reminded Sophie of Kashmiri kurtas. Now, he looked like the King of Narnia. 

"Welcome to the First Annual Ball celebrations of this reign."

Trumpkin imitated snoring next to Sophie that made her shake his shoulder violently. "Why did I come anyway? This is absolutely ridiculous. I'm in the king's inner circle and I make battle plans. Not ballroom plans." 

"Because Caspian is your friend and friends support each other," she replied. "Now shh."

Caspian finished his speech quickly. He had kept it short and sweet because he was already nervous about the night. There was something that he had to do and he couldn't let the speech take over the evening. He had not looked at himself in the mirror and let out a huge breath of relief for him to bore everyone. 

"Let the ball begin."

The Narnian choir and musical troupe started to play their magical melodies. Sophie was swaying to their music, it moving her to tears several times. When one of the dwarves from the woods asked Trumpkin for a dance, she pushed him to the dance even after he refused. 

"Enjoy!" She laughed as he glared at her from the dance floor but he had to admit that he was enjoying himself. Sophie smiled when she saw him dance happily, a side to him that she had never seen.

"My lady." A dark-skinned young man wearing a red jacket with silver buttons bowed down at her. He had noticed her staying away from the crowd from across the room and could not resist introducing himself.

She curtsied to be polite. Rumira and Evelyn had taught her the right way to do it. "Duke Jeremiah, if I'm not wrong." Sophie recognised him from the portraits of the current rulers in the weapons room. He was an important person, ruling over Archenland after his mother's demise. They were one of the first kingdoms to let a female monarch rule over the kingdom.

"That is correct," he affirmed, sounding impressed. "How did you know?"

"The Professor has told me a lot about the neighbouring kingdoms."

"The Professor?"

"Oh." Sophie clamped her forehead. "Sorry. Doctor Cornelius."

"Oh, the Doctor! Wonderful man he is. One of the wisest in today's times."