Chapter 16: The Truest Surprise

Sophie wanted to waste no time at all. As soon as she had settled in her old chambers again, she started working on her coronation, and this time, she took full participation in it. She knew who she was. She realised it really late, but she had realised it. 

The day of the coronation finally arrived but this time, she wasn't worried and nor was she stressed about her commitment. The castle was open to everyone but they had closed the doors once the Professor was ready in the throne room.

No Witch was going to stop this day from happening.

The Professor broke into tears when he had seen Sophie the day she returned. And so had she. He was her guide and mentor. He had taught her everything that she knew. He was the only one close to a father-figure that she had and she loved him so and even more.

The ceremony was arranged very quickly on her request because she didn't want to wait any longer. There was no time to wait any more than they already had. Sophie was going to be crowned and this time, the conditions were on her terms. The council would not alter any decision that she would make as she was the True ruler of Narnia. 

"Are you ready?" Caspian asked as he held her hands while Nina braided her hair.

She smiled. "I am."

"You look beautiful as always. Happy birthday, Sophie."

"Thank you, Cas."

"Now, Your Majesty. I'm going to have to ask you to leave while she can actually get dressed."

"Yes, of course, Nina," he said, without taking his gaze off of Sophie, which made the heat rise up to her cheeks. "I'll be waiting at the end of the path."

"I'll be there soon."

"Also," he said before he got out of the door. "You can finally see the surprise today."

"Finally!" Sophie exclaimed. "What is it? Oh please please please tell me! It's my birthday, after all!" 

"I've kept the secret in for the past few months. It's just a few more hours, I promise." He kissed her forehead. "I promise it will be worth it."

"Let's time travel then."

He laughed. "All in good time, my love." He promised before heading out.

"Now," Nina said as Sophie had her eyes closed. The dress was supposed to be a surprise and it was a surprise indeed. "I told Claire to make it simple but we needed to portray a statement."

"Can I open my eyes?"

"Yes, you may."

Sophie opened them and gasped immediately. "No way. This is too much."

"What are you saying? It's perfect!"

"I'll fall down."

"Then you can fall."

"A queen shouldn't be clumsy."

"A queen cannot wear a plain black shirt."

Sophie fussed as if she was a four-year old. It was a gorgeous red princess gown with gold embroidery. It was heavier than it looked but it was soft on the inside. Claire knew exactly how Sophie would want her dress to be.

The two women headed down as Nina helped her with the train. "Please tell me that I can change before I go to the Dancing Lawn."

"Yes, you may."

"Can I wear what I want?" 

Nina laughed. "We will see about that." Nina kissed her cheek as Sophie stood outside the wooden doors, deja vu washing over her once again.