Chapter 12: Finding the Past in the Present

Sophie was dreaming. She was definitely dreaming. She was one hundred percent, mother of God, dreaming. 

"You're from Narnia?" Caspian spoke on her behalf, because she sat there with her mouth open.

"You're King Farhan and Queen Helen's daughter!"

Sophie blinked at Chad. "Y-you're from Narnia."

But Chad was already on his feet then. He sat down on one knee and bowed his head. "Legacy Sophie."

Sophie gaped at him. "You're from Narnia!" 

Caspian placed a hand on her shoulder to let her know that he was with her.

"Well, of course I'm from Narnia!" Chad said in a 'duh' tone.

"I've been staying with a Narnian my whole life?"

Chad looked around and seeing that nobody was there, he cocked his head at her. Well, there was one person - the intern, but he had his headphones on and was cleaning the place up. "Well, not entire life but-" Sophie threw the salt shaker at him. "Ow!"

"You lied to me!"

"So did you!" He was on his feet and taking back his seat. "Well, I don't blame you because you didn't know that you were....are the Princess of Narnia." Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Caspian shake his head. It was a bad idea to call Sophie the princess. "I should call you the Queen, shouldn't I?"

Sophie leaned forward against the table and looked the person before her directly in the eyes. "Who. Are. You." 

"This makes so much sense. The magic of the borders removed everyone's memory here so that you could start over at your true home." He rambled about the current possibility that was before him as if the young woman hadn't just snarled at him. "But why are you back now? This doesn't make sense. There must be peace in Narnia, or so I assumed. Is everything okay?"

"We fell into a river," Caspian said while Sophie was remembering all the times that she was with someone who knew who she was. Chad knew who she was without knowing it. She was with an actual guardian her entire life. "Water bodies seem to have an effect on connecting this world to Narnia. Sophie's ring-"

"Is the anchor. It's the beacon that connects both the world."

Sophie glared at Chad. "Who....are you?"

He sighed. "I am a warlock. Was a warlock, anyway."

"How do you know Sophie?" 

"I was the Court Secretary for King Farhan and Queen Helen's court." Sophie gasped. Caspian was immediate in taking her hand in his. Chad realised that she knew what could have happened. "It was I whom Jadis talked to. Not Coriakin. I betrayed the court and banished myself to another world. It was a walk into the unknown but I took it. Ramandu took the fall for my stupidity and as far as I know, he is now at his own island."

"He is," Caspian said. "And he has kept your secret in silence all these years."

It wasn't Caspian's intention to inculcate guilt to Chad, but the sorrow in the latter's eyes was very evident. "He really is a good friend. I don't deserve it."

Sophie took a deep breath to calm herself down. "Tell me everything."

Chad did not leave a single piece of information out. "I am a warlock. Was a warlock, whatever. Once I came to this world, I realised that my powers were taken away from me by the magical borders that separate the two universes. It took some time to settle in but I managed to not get caught."

"Since you age very slowly," Sophie teased.

Chad clicked his fingers at her as Sophie always made fun of him for being a Dorian Gray because he seemed to look younger as the days passed by. She never connected him to being a Narnian. "I tried new hobbies and decided to open my own restaurant."