Chapter 8: Rowing Through Unknowns

The Dawn Treader rested at the shores of the unmarked and unnamed Island, finally receiving the rest that was much needed. The kings and queens and the crew split into three groups - Reepicheep, Eustace and the crew were in charge of gathering supplies while Caspian, Lucy and Edmund went to explore the Island, trying to find any sign of one of the Seven Lords.

While they went their way, Sophie told her small "See you again soon" to Caspian. He kissed her forehead and lingered for a while, not wanting to let go. Well, that was her sentiments precisely. She would have locked lips with him but there were too many eyes, not to mention Lucy and Edmund, who were not quite used to seeing affection shown in public. Besides, Sophie did not want them to tease her any more than they already did with the stolen glances that she shared with Caspian. 

After the group started exploring, General Tavros and she headed to the base of the hill. "General Tavros." She addressed him as he waited by a large rock.

"You can call me by my name, Your Majesty. I prefer it when people don't use my title. And it would certainly be an honour to be in your good graces."

"I know that feeling. The 'not using title' part. And no one can get on my bad side unless they harm someone. So you're cool there." She smiled. "So how long have you been a sailor for?" It was time to forget that she was an introvert and start to get to know a fellow Narnian. Sophie had Thunderride, Evelyn and Rumira to thank for this confidence, but that was probably because they were easy to talk to.

Once they reached the base of the hill, they searched for the entrance to a cave. Sophie couldn't find it when she searched but Tavros was able to find it like the back of his hand. "It's here, Your Majesty."

Sophie frowned. "How did I miss this?" She had searched that place before but found a boulder in the place where a boat stood then. She agreed that her attention span was low, but that was when she was around Caspian. She definitely wouldn't have missed an entire boat! Something was definitely up.

"The boulder must have hidden your view."

"Must have." But she knew that it hadn't. The boulder was in a different place now that the boat was visible.

The two got onto the boat and Tavros sat at the oars end. "There is a note here." He picked it up and handed it to her. "As for the journey, I'll try to take you to the place as soon as possible, Your Majesty."

"We can always take turns, Tavros. You don't have to do it alone."

"I'll be fine, Your Majesty." He assured her as she sat down. "A nice company can wile away any pain."

"Truer words haven't been spoken. Well, I do hope that I'm of good company because I can be annoying sometimes."

"The entire crew can tell you that I am the annoying one. I have a tendency to talk my heart out."

"Is that so?" She put her hand forward. "Then, may the best annoyer win."

"May they win." He shook it. "Which way do we go from here, Your Majesty?"

Sophie opened the note and saw the directions. "We have to go East from here and....."

"Not to interrupt you, Your Majesty," started Travos. "But East is that way." He pointed in the exact opposite direction that she was pointing towards.

"Right. Sorry." Now this was something strange as well. Her navigation skills were not that bad. She knew that. Caspian had taught her the basic of sailing, although he was yet to show her in the practical sense. Something was definitely going on. "We have to go East and once we reach the T-shaped valley, we have to take a left."