The Lock and Key Hypothesis

Monday
I've spent all weekend anxiously trying to figure out the best way to present myself in my application for the new opening in the astrophysics department. Just imagine, working on equal terms with my friends, no longer having to attend to impossible customers at the Cheesecake Factory... oh shoot, I have a shift in 30 minutes.

There aren't too many customers today, and I find myself daydreaming about getting the job. Stop. I can't get ahead of myself. There will probably be a ton of applicants, and who's to say that they're not even more qualified and experienced than I am? I suppose that's my biggest worry - my lack of experience. Still, I do have a PhD, and that has to count for something. Taking a few deep breaths, I try to end the jumble of thoughts creating havoc in my mind, and as I calm down, a smile finds its way to my face.
"What are you smiling about, star lady?" a voice interrupts. I jump to see Jack, my boss, walking towards me.
"Oh, nothing," I say. "Just enjoying a moment of quiet,"
"Ah, I thought Penny had slipped up and told you," Jack says. I raise my eyebrows.
"Told me what?" I ask. He smirks and drums his fingertips against his chin.
"Well, all right. I told Penny that if you keep up the good work, you might be looking at a raise not too far into the future," I raise my eyebrows even higher.
"Wow. That doesn't sound too bad!" I say.
"Right? I'm glad to have you, star lady. Your work ethic and adaptability is something this place needs," he says. Huh. I probably shouldn't tell him that I'm applying for another job - not yet, at least.

Tuesday
Was supposed to meet up with Raj this evening but he's stuck at work. Wonder if I should call mom and dad. Nah, better give them some time. Besides, I don't need them poking at my new-found strength and groundedness. Better take another look at my application then. It needs something to make me stand out, but I have no idea what ...

Wednesday
Another successful shift in the books. As I ascend the stairs, I start thinking about ways to improve my application.
...
...
...
...
I'm all the way up now, and I haven't thought of a single thing. I sigh as I look to my apartment door, knowing that inside the application is waiting, judging me. I turn my head and consider knocking on Sheldon and Leonard's door instead. It's judgement either way. Oh well.
"Come in!" Sheldon's voice says, and I do as told. "Oh, hi," he says as he sees me, looking slightly disappointed.
"I'm happy to see you too," I say as I plop into the couch.
"Are you here to invite me to another traumatizing family dinner?" he asks, shooting me a solemn glare. I sigh as I remember his outburst during the dinner.
"No ... and I'm sorry you had to see that," I say. "Do you want to talk about it?"
"Talk about what? How every family dinner has to turn into a mess with no considerations for m- ... people's feelings?" He looks sad.
"Yeah, I know. People are too caught up in their own feelings. Which is ironic because half of the time they're not willing to admit to them," I say as I let myself rest against the couch.
"At least I'm not like that ..." Sheldon says, and I smile to myself. I'll let him have it this time. "You know, Leonard told me that you stood up for yourself after I had left. I'm glad I inspired you ..." he continues.
"You inspired me?" I ask, staring at him sceptically. He returns my look.
"Well, yes. You see me standing up for myself and my convictions all the time. I know none of you like to admit it, but I know that I am a great inspiration to you all," Sheldon says and finishes with a sly smile. I continue to stare at him in disbelief.
"You mean ... you inspire us when you flinch at the slightest change and handle it by steadily descending into madness?" I ask, and he jerks his head in my direction with furrowed brows.
"Well, I wouldn't put it quite like that. I'm steady and reliable, and I don't let smaller distractions keep me from my goal," he retorts.
"Okay ..." I say, "So, you mean ... you inspire us when you refuse to consider other viewpoints than your own, firmly believing that your truth is the only truth?" I ask again. He nods.
"Exactly, now you're getting it," he says and looks at me with a satisfied smile.
"You know what, Sheldon ..." I begin as an idea takes shape in my head. "You may have actually inspired me just now," I say and leap to my feet before leaving the apartment, leaving a quizzical Sheldon behind.

Thursday
Penny and I movie marathon. Wine good.

Friday
I knock and wait in anticipation until Raj opens the door. He pulls me in for a long, sweet kiss, and an even longer hug.
"I've missed you so much this week ..." he says.
"I've missed you too," I say and begin to take off my jacket before Raj takes over. I look around the room and see that he has lit candles and prepared the table with a warm red table cloth and napkins to match. I have definitely lucked out with this guy.
"So ..." he  begins as he guides me to the table. "Tell me, did you do it?" he asks, and I know what he is referring to.
"Yes, I did it. I handed over my application just half an hour ago," I say with a smile on my face.
"And?" he asks. "Are you happy with it?"
"I am," I sigh a happy sigh. "I kept feeling that it needed something, that I wasn't making my case the best I could ... but, yesterday, I realised something. I realised that although I may not have as much experience as some of the other applicants, that may be an advantage. I'll be able to bring a fresh perspective which, I think, is needed at the university that is full of scientists stuck in their old ways," I say and quickly interject: "Not you, of course," to which Raj smiles thankfully. "Also, because I'm still new to this, I have all of this motivation to work hard that for the past while has just been sitting inside me, not able to break loose. Serving burgers just isn't the same ..." We smile at each other. "And, finally, I think I'm good at adapting to new situations and new environments. So, that's what I wrote in my application. I was afraid to give myself any praise but I finally did," I end, taking a sip of the wine Raj has poured me.
"I am sure it will pay off," he says. "I can't wait to hear Siebert's decision,"
"Me either ... you know, I thought about titling it 'All the things that Sheldon Cooper is not', do you think that would have gotten me bonus points?" I ask, and we both laugh. Raj serves an obviously delicious dinner, and once we've finished, he takes my hand.
"So, Lucille, I am very, very happy to be here with you ..." he says, and I feel butterflies making their way around inside of me. "When I first met you, I thought that you were special. Kind, funny, beautiful. It didn't take me long to realise that I wanted to kiss you," I find myself blushing at his words, caressing his fingers as he talks. "I haven't stopped thinking about you since. And this week, not seeing you was hard. It got me thinking that there is something I never actually asked ..." He looks a bit nervous, and I send him a big smile telling him to go on. "So, Lucille ... do you want to be my girlfriend?" he asks, and I find my smile getting even bigger.
"Of course I do!" I exclaim, reaching over the table to plant a big kiss on those lips of his. "Were you nervous asking me that?" I ask teasingly.
"I just like you a lot, okay," he says. I can't stop smiling. Rajesh Koothrappali is my boyfriend. "And because I like you a lot ..." he says and turns around to grab something behind him. "I wanted to give you something nice," Opening his hands, he reveals a necklace with a star as its pendant. It's beautiful.
"Wow ... it's beautiful," I say.
"I know it's obvious why I got you a star since we're both astrophysicists. But I just wanted you to know that, although I see a lot of stars, you're my favourite one. The one I like to look at the most," The love I'm feeling feels too big for my chest, my body, hell, even the universe.
"Raj, I don't know what to say ... after I've met you, I've been the happiest I've ever been. You make me smile and laugh and develop as a person. And I want to continue doing so. With you ... I have never been so sure of anyone in my whole life," I tell him, and I see him tearing up. I feel my own tears as well. We get up from the table to meet in an embrace, passionate and sweet, just like us. He puts the necklace around my neck and plants a few sweet kisses there after doing so. As I turn around, I kiss him, deeply, trying to convey the love I'm feeling in this moment. I find my hands searching his chest, and his hands are likewise travelling down my body.
"Hey ..." he then says. "Have you ever heard of the Lock and Key Hypothesis?"
"Somewhat ... ?" I reply, not sure where he wants to go with this.
"Okay, but basically, the idea is that a substrate fits perfectly into an enzyme. Like a key fits into a lock," he explains.
"Yeah ... ?" I say, slowly realising what he might be getting at.
"So, I have my own Lock and Key Hypothesis. About ... something ... fitting perfectly together," I can sense that he is beginning to sweat.
"And a hypothesis needs to be tested, right?" I ask, playing along. As I say those words, he looks me in the eyes and nods.
"O-of course, both the lock and the key should be willing parties-" he begins, stuttering, before I place a finger on his lips. And with that, I take his hand, and together we walk towards his bedroom.