The Affair Sublimation

"Dr. Davenport, you've worked here for almost two months now and have yet to reveal your full potential," Those are the words exiting the mouth of my superior - Sylvia Sylvester - moments after I've sat down in her office, hands fidgeting nervously.
"With all due respect, Miss Sylvester, as you say, I've been here for only two months. Surely one can't live up to their full potential in such a short time. Potential develops. It grows." I smile at her, a genuine smile as I feel my heart light up at the thought of spending every day developing and growing my potential. I will nourish it like a plant, adding water and sun, or excitement and dedication. My smile fades as I notice Sylvester's face; eyes stern and a pair of perched lips.
"We hired you with high expectations, Dr. Davenport," she continues, looking me straight in the eye. She wants to over-water my plant. "President Siebert recommended you highly, you remember. Now get back to work." She casts her eyes back down at a set of papers on her desk and pays me no further attention. I nod, getting up and out of the office. Once out, I sigh and close my eyes as I lean up the wall behind me. I take a minute to re-lighten my heart at the thought of spending my life working with astrophysics. But, in the midst of my joyous daydream, a sudden darkness sweeps in, a familiar prick at my heart. I open my eyes, sighing, and walk back to my office. Working in the field of your dreams is one thing, but having been torn away from the one place you felt really at home is entirely another.

Life at the new university isn't all bad. This far I've gotten time and resources to conduct my research, and the canteen has nice enough food. I haven't made a lot of friends, apart from Renee from the Geology Department who insists that I lunch with her every other day while she talks of this "chick called Sarah" who she is yet to ask on a second date.

Mom and dad are yet to visit. I haven't seen them since I first moved to Pasadena. It's strange not seeing them as much anymore, and mom seems different somehow, but I suppose it's the financial trouble taking a toll at her. At least I'm able to help them with that.

I've been talking a lot to Penny since I moved, and she keeps me up to date on all the shenanigans going on in Pasadena. I've even had some Skype calls with Sheldon who, although he would never admit it, definitely misses me a little. If only a little. The only person I haven't talked to is Raj. There isn't time for everything.

The sun has gone down, and I'm boiling some water for my soon-to-be delicious cup of noodles. I like to experiment and make my own food, but, sometimes, there is nothing like a cup of noodles. After having devoured exactly three spoonfuls and well one my way to the next, there are a few knocks on my door. I hold the spoon still mid-air as I gaze at it. Perhaps it's Tom, my downstairs neighbour, who is a little odd but who seems very lovable. Opening the door, I raise my eyebrows in surprise as I see my dad standing in front of me.
"Dad?" I ask. His eyes look red, and my heart is heavy as I realise he has been crying. "Dad, what's wrong? Where's mom?" I feel my heart growing even heavier as I realise it must be his lack of job that's gotten to him. Or has something happened to mom? He snorts.
"Can I come in?" he asks, sounding both fragile and bitter. I nod, taking him by the arm and placing him in the couch.
"Dad, I'm so so-"
"Your mother is cheating on me," he states. I freeze. Body, face, heart. I try to say "What?" but I only manage to mouth it. "I found out this morning and took the first flight here. I didn't know where else to go," he says, his voice breaking. I hug him tightly, feeling a ping of anger pricking at my stomach before spreading its way all over. So she wasn't acting different because of their financial troubles. My dad starts shaking and the feeling of anger is matched by a feeling of sadness as I hug him closer than ever before. For a while, we cry together. Then, he goes to the bathroom. I look to the table.

Sometimes, there really isn't nothing like a cup of noodles.

I spend the evening talking to and comforting my dad. He tells me how he never suspected a thing, and how he wondered if it was his own fault, having been down in the dumps about losing his job. He also spends time comforting me. I've been teasing my dad about his growing tummy for a while now, but tonight, I really appreciate it as we hug each other closely. Suddenly, my phone starts vibrating. Mom. Anger exploding in my stomach, I stand up as I pick up the phone.
"How could you?!" I yell, tears forming in my eyes. I feel my father's hand take mine.
"Honey, this isn't how I meant for you to find out ..." she says. I frown.
"Oh, so how did you mean for me to find out?"
"Luci ..." she attempts.
"I can't deal with you right now. Dad's here. In case you care." I hang up and plop back down on the couch, my face in my hands. Dad caresses my back.
"I'm sorry," I say.
"You have nothing to apologise for. You're allowed to react."
I nod and rest my head against his shoulder. Tiredness overwhelms me, and soon I'm sleeping, dreaming, screaming ...

I wake up in my bed, tucked under my duvet as my dad always did it when I was younger. About to get up, dad appears by the door, holding a cup.
"Morning. I made some tea for you," he says as I sit up.
"How did you know I was about to wake?" I ask, rubbing my eye with a slight yawn as I accept the tea.
"I've known you all your life, honey," he says with a warm smile. I smile back at him.
"So... how are you feeling today?" I ask. He sighs.
"It feels... surreal," he says, frowning. I nod.
"You can stay here however long you want," I tell him.
"I know, thank you, but ... the last time we talked, you didn't seem too fond of this place,"
"I've never said anything like that,"
"Like I said, I've known you all your life," He smiles at me. I sigh. "You sounded so happy in Pasadena,"
"I was," I nod as I take a sip of my tea.
"Then why don't you go back?"
"I can't just go back. I was offered a great opportunity here."
"What's a great opportunity worth if it makes all other aspects of your life miserable?"
"Gee, when did my dad become such a wise man?" I ask, my eyes widening. We both laugh. "Is it old age?" I ask as I nudge him. A warmth spreads across my heart and I don't know if it's my father's words reassuring my desire to move back to Pasadena or if it's simply the presence of my father triggering it. All I know is that I don't want to be without either one.

Later that day, I pick up my phone, a genuine smile on my lips bred from the newly-found warmth in my heart. "Penny? Hey! It's Lucille! Is my old room still available?"