The Stairway Escalation

I spent the night with Rajesh Koothrappali.

I open the doors to my apartment building with a happy sigh. Who would've thought that pursuing a career as an astrophysicist would lead to the greatest love story I could have ever imagined. Sure, it's no Romeo and Juliet or Anthony and Cleopatra, but why would I want that anyway? Lucille and Rajesh. I think that has a much happier ring to it. I smile as I fidget with the necklace Raj gave me last night. I don't ever want to take it off. I'm sure Penny will be waiting upstairs with a ton of questions about why I didn't come home last night ... and I can't wait to answer them. I can't believe that Raj and I started out as boss and subordinate. I remember our first days together, him not speaking, us having to communicate using our phones, and him writing sweet messages on the board in his office. I remember the first time I heard his voice when I walked in on him, drunk on whiskey, frustrated about his inability to talk to girls. How things have changed. Then there was the time I talked to his parents. Huh. I suppose they're basically my in-laws now. Was Sheldon right, should I be worried? Will they try to have Raj dump me for an Indian girl? At least I get some points for not eating cow... either way, I have no doubt that Raj and I will be able to conquer any challenge that dares to come at us. I chuckle as I remember how Raj stood me up at our stargazing date (let's be real, I wanted it to be a date), and how I drowned my sorrows in beer - don't try that at home btw. That was some good oatmeal, though, that Sheldon had Leonard make to cure my hangover. I need to think of an excuse to drop by for oatmeal on Monday. Of course, it all changed when I got offered the job at the other university. As soon as Raj found out he must have freaked, seeing as he got mad at me and spent a dinner with Lucy pondering why I didn't tell him. Damn, he was into me. I smile as I remember how he basically confessed his feelings to me at Leonard's bon voyage party. Why did I run away anyway? He was so sincere and vulnerable, and I felt exactly the same as him. I think I was just scared that I would be rejecting an amazing opportunity because of a boy. But, I suppose, if I hadn't run, we wouldn't have shared the epic first kiss that we did once I returned home. The thought of it still makes me shiver in delight. That was the night I broke his spell.

Second floor. Halfway up. I always complain about the amount of stairs I have to walk up and down every day, but I suppose they're good for something - what better time to reflect on life while working your glutes? I wonder how things may change if I try to always find the positive in situations. Note to self, must try. I feel my phone buzzing, and a nervous surge races up through my body as I see that it's mom.
"Hey," I say as I pick up.
"Hello, sweetie," my mom says. "Is this an okay time to call?"
"Yeah, I'm walking up the stairs to my apartment,"
"Great. Your dad and I have something to tell you," she says, and my dad announces his presence with a "Hi, sweetheart!".
"Okay ..." I say, slightly nervous, stopping in my tracks. "What is it?"
"We have been seeing a couple's therapist," my dad begins, "and we have decided that a divorce will be best for us," he continues. I'm not sure exactly how to feel. I've never wanted my parents to divorce, but for the first time in a long time we're talking, the three of us, with no one shouting, crying, or making snarky remarks.
"The therapist helped us to realise a lot of things ... about ourselves, our marriage," my mom takes over. "He helped us to see how we went wrong, and how we can do better. But we won't be doing it together. We're departing with kindness," she says. Wow. Is that actually possible?
"And we want you to know, sweetheart, that you were right to tell us off that night at your dinner party," my dad says. "And we want you to know that the next time you invite the both of us over, you don't have to worry about us fighting or ruining the mood. We won't let it happen," he says, and I smile at the thought of still being able to see both of them at the same time.
"Wow, that's a lot to take in," I say. "But I'm really happy to hear that you've been able to figure out what's best for you. I can't wait to see the both of you again," I say, strangely feeling tears threatening to spill as all of the fear and worry I have had because of their conflict seems to wash away.
"We can't wait to see you either. Have a great day, sweetie," my mom says, and we say our 'byes before hanging up, likely all feeling a whole lot lighter. I know I do.