Chapter 1

Everyone thinks they know your story until they hear it from your point of view. This is my story and how I perceive it.

~//~//~

"Doctor Banner." a woman called from the other room.

"One minute," he replied before turning his attention back to me and Sarah. "I have to go, will you girls be okay by yourselves?"

"We'll be fine dad, go be awesome." I assured him.

"I love you, my little asteroid." he said and kissed me on the forehead.

"Love you too, dad." I said. He walked out of the room leaving me and my best friend alone in a conference room.

"Let's turn on the T.V. so we can watch!" Sarah insisted.

"Okay," I giggled at her excitement and proceeded to turn on the T.V. and changing the channel to one that starred my father at his press conference.

"It is my pleasure to present to you, your new protectors, The Avengers." an announcer introduced the group and 6 people walked onto the stage. Steve Rogers, Tony Stark, Clint Barton, Natasha Romanoff, Thor and my father, Bruce Banner.

"How's everyone doing this afternoon?" Mr. Stark asked with much enthusiasm. The crowd of civilians and reporters and journalist cheered. As the conference continued, Thor went on to explain that his brother, Loki, the one who had just attacked New York weeks prior, would no longer be a problem to the people of Midgard. At the end of debriefing people on the situation, they started to answer the questions people were asking.

"Mr. Stark, Mr. Stark, how does it feel to be a part of a group who have a lot more experience when it comes to combat and taking down the ones who wish to destroy us?" one reporter asked.

"That's a little dark, but just because they have more experience doesn't mean I'm not better than all of them combined because...I am." he said.

"Typical Tony Stark. Always stroking that ego." I said and rolled my eyes.

"He's still hot." Sarah said.

"Ew." I laughed and playfully pushed her. The mention of my father made us avert our attention back to the T.V.

"Doctor Banner, how can you work for the man who is responsible for the death of your ex-fiancé and mother to your daughter?" the reporter asked. Everything fell silent, my smile turned into a tear that slowly moved down my cheek and the feeling of confusion rose in me.

My father's face turned pale, "I'm sorry, what?" he asked.

Fury walked onto stage. "I think we're done here." he said and guided everyone off the stage.

"What is she talking about?" we heard my father ask from outside the room we were in. I wiped the tear from my eye and Sarah and I pressed our ears against the wall to hear what was happening on the other side.

"Banner, I think you need to cool off a bit." Fury insisted.

"No, I wanna know what's going on." he yelled.

"It's just the press looking for a reaction." he replied trying to calm my father down.

"No, no, I don't believe that."

"Bruce, how bout we talk? Clear your mind a bit." Ms. Romanoff suggested. Footsteps descended away and she started to talk again. "You okay?" There was no answer. "Bruce, there are some things about Emily's death that Fury kept from you, for good reason."

"For good reason? Do you know how hard it was for me to have to explain to my daughter that her mother wasn't coming back? I had to make up a lie because I didn't know why she wasn't coming back. I didn't even know if she was dead or not." he explained, anger clear in his voice. "What am I supposed to tell her now?"

"Nothing. Tell her it was just the media stirring up trouble." Ms. Romanoff replied.

"I have only lied to my daughter once, I refuse to lie to her again."

"So, she knows about your attempts to get rid of the big guy?" she asked.

There was a short pause, "That was different." he responded softly. There was another silence, I could feel the tears flowing down my face. I wanted to run out of the room and just keep running until I was lost. But I also just wanted to run into my father's arms and cry and for him to tell me that everything was gonna be alright.

"Emily went on a suicide mission. Fury told her not to go but she did anyway, she survived but she got contaminated. Instead of going through all the suffering it would cause she had Fury shoot her." Ms. Romanoff finished. That's what really did it. I ran for the door and swung it open only to see my father with tears trapped in his eyes. They looked towards me with shocked expression on their faces but they didn't say anything.

So I started running. You assume most nerds aren't physically fit but this nerd could run for hours on end and never get tired. Sarah called her the young Steve Rogers even though when Steve Rogers was young it was hard enough for him to walk long distances nevermind run. Running has become a common thing with me. Especially at night after my nightmares.

The nightmares are roughly the same, the experiment that turned my dad into a big green monster but instead he doesn't survive the blast. What a lot of people don't know is that I was actually in the lab with him. I watched as he tested the machines to make sure there are no accidents or causalities. Everything seemed to be fine, until it wasn't. The machine malfunctioned and the gamma rays went out of control. Not only did my dad get hit but so did I. The effects weren't exactly the same obviously but they did the same job of giving the victim unnatural abilities.

On my run I started to think more about the accident as tears streamed down my face and my feet started to feel like they were on fire since my body wanted to just give out and sulk. 

My mother chose to leave me, my father tried to leave me. What is it about me that repels people? Why doesn't anyone want me?