Chapter 3

Present Day (2 Years Later)...

"Y/n, you ready to go?" my dad asked as he knocked on my bedroom door.

I swung open the door revealing me in my 3-piece purple and black suit, "Are you sure I should be going to this?" I asked.

"Come on. It'll be good for you to get out of the house. You really haven't done much since Lily." he explained.

"I just haven't been up to it." I said and walked past him. "You coming?" He smiled and followed after me. We arrived at Avengers Tower 15 minutes later and we took a second before walking inside.

"You still gonna try an shoot your shot?" I asked my dad as I straighten his tie.

"As long as your okay with that, I know you have your opinions about everyone I hang out with." he laughed.

"I do, but they make you happier than before so...plus you're the adult so my say doesn't entirely matter."

"That's true." We stood silent for a moment he looked into my eyes, probably searching for the little girl he knew all those years ago. Unfortunately, that girl, was gone. She'd been through it all. The pain of being in love that ultimately results in heartbreak. The pain and healing of losing a parent. The pain of knowing the truth. The pain of being lied to. "Hey," my dad interrupted my thoughts. "my little asteroid, you know I love you, right?"

I nodded my head but a tear unwantedly came sliding down my cheek. "Sorry." I said quickly as I wiped it away.

"Hey, there's nothing to be sorry for. Breakups hurt and it takes time to heal. You don't ever have to be sorry for showing you have emotions, especially with me." he explained and wrapped me into a hug. My safe space. I quickly wrapped my arms around him as I sobbed.

"I don't like this feeling, dad." I sobbed.

"I know, but you'll get through it," he assured me as he stroked my head. "You're strong and I want you to know that I'm proud of you. Your mother would be too." I smiled as a memory of my mom came rushing into my thoughts.

~//~//~

"Mommy?" 6 year old me asked as I saw my mother on the couch with her head in her hands.

"Y/n? What are you doing up?" she asked as she wiped the tears from her eyes and put on a fake smile which I saw right through.

"Mommy, why are you crying?" I asked.

"It's nothing, sweetie. Mommy's just a little sad, but it's okay." she said and held my petite hands in hers.

"Mommy, where's daddy?" I asked.

"He's, uh, he's working a little late tonight."

"Did you and daddy get into a fight?" I asked.

"No, no. Sweetie, why would you think that?"

"Well, I hear you and daddy yelling sometimes. About work."

"Your dad and I, we just get a little over whelmed. It's nothing to worry about okay?" she said and tucked the pieces of hair, that were in my face, behind my ears. "If anything happens to me, I want you to know, I'm proud of you and I love you. More than anything." She held me close and rubbed small circles on my back, like she did when she wanted me to calm down or fall asleep.

~//~//~

At the party...

"I gotta have some of that." an army veteran says as Thor pours a liquid in a shot glass for Steve.