Chapter 6

Silence. Nothing but the sound of small pebbled being kicked around outside the cell. I sat on the floor, in the back left corner partially blocking the hole so my captures couldn't see it. Just for a little longer. Until the mouse came back. It'd been 3 hours since I'd given her the note. That fear of the unknown creeping up my spine, urging me to do something.

Then, another sharp pain. This time it came from my head and stayed there. An aching in my neck, a throbbing in my throat.

"How are you feeling?" an unfamiliar voice asked and out of the shadows of the room came Wanda.

"Why do you care?"

"I saw your father." she said, which peaked my interest, I started to listen to her more. "Believe it or not, losing you isn't his biggest fear."

"Believe it or not, I know." I responded with a slight laugh. "If that was your attempt to get inside my head then you should try harder next time. No one's afraid of losing me."

"You're wrong." she said. "They came here for you. They would only do that if they really loved you."

"Okay, I'm confused here. Why are you telling me this? I mean I know you guys "mean well" or whatever but aren't you supposed to be telling me the opposite so that I'll feel abandoned and want to join your side?"

She didn't say anything, instead she gave me a soft smile and walked away.

Weird.

A few moments later there was a soft tap on my lower back, indicating that my mouse messenger was back. I looked to make sure no one was around and when I figured I was alone I moved. The tiny mouse jumped down from the hole and into my hands.

"Did he get it?" I asked her.

"He threw a shoe at me!" she squeaked. "But yes, he started to talk about coming to save you too."

"Thank you, and I'm sorry about the shoe."

"It's fine. He also told me to give you a message."

"He talked to you?" I asked.

"Yeah, after realizing you sent me. He said, "If we fail, it'll rain fire." He said you'll know what it means."

"Thank you, for everything. You've been really helpful." I said and gave her a smile.

"Do you do this often?" she asked.

"Do what?"

"Talk to animals?"

"Oh," I said. "no. I don't really like doing this. I mean it's cool and all but weird."

"I totally get it. Talking to you is weird to."

"Yeah. Hey, I never asked you what your name was." I said.

"Monnie."

"Are you talking to a mouse?" the familiar voice of Ultron startled me and I dropped Monnie onto the ground. She quickly scattered at the sight of Ultron and ran into the tiny hole.

"What do you want?"

"Just wanted to- I'm sorry, I still can't get over why you were talking to a mouse?"

I laughed in response. "You know for a robot who literally has all of the internet and data from Avengers Tower, you really are dense."

"Are you ready to join us yet?" he asked.

"I'd rather burn." I said and a small flame lit behind him. "Better put that out before it spreads."

"What are you doing?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." I smiled and the flame started to grow. He ignored me and turned to dose out the flame, but when he thought it was gone it came back bigger.

"What the-"

"You really should've done your research." I said and tapped the glass window making it shatter to pieces. The flame erupted like a bonfire partially burning his metal face. I ran out of the room only to be stopped by the Twins.

"You've agreed?" Pietro asked.

"No." I said simply and vines grew through the cemented floor, swarming the room, entangling anything that got in their paths. While they focused on trying not to get caught, I made a run for it.

"She's getting away!" I heard Wanda scream before the vines blocked the area of which I exited. I continued to run, taking in my surrounding so I could figure out where I was. I passed by sick and homeless women and men and children. All huddled together to keep warm. I passed shelters overflowing with people and resource areas that had run out of resources.

I couldn't figure out where I was and by the looks of it, I probably didn't want to stay long. So I kept running. After what felt like hours I reached an arena full of people and a phone booth.

"Yes!" I cheered under my breath. I quickly ran over but I didn't have any change or anything, so I asked one of the people around me. I walked up to a woman who was talking a different language. I didn't remember what it was at first but when she started talking to me I understood it more.

"Вам помочь? (Can I help you?)" she asked. (I am using Russian because I've looked into what languages and stuff that Sokovia is based off and it's a mix so I'm keeping it simple. I will add translations as well)

"Uh, Где...я? (Where am I?)" I asked her.

"Соковия." she answered.

"Sokovia? What the- okay, um...У вас есть деньги на телефон... телефонная будка? (Do you have money for the phone...phone booth?)" I asked and pointed to the booth.

"Это нарушено. (That is broken.)" she said and I'm sure she saw my face drop. "You are from America, no?"

"You speak English? Yes, oh thank god. Um, do you have a phone I could use?"

"Yes, here." she said, then pulled a phone out her pocket and handed it to me.

"Thank you so much." I typed in my dad's number and pressed call. The overwhelming feeling of the unknown as the ringing continued. "Dad, I swear to god if you don't ans-"

"Hello?"

"Dad!"